* [dpdk-users] Trouble locating functionality in code
@ 2020-06-12 14:47 Georgia Panoutsakopoulou
From: Georgia Panoutsakopoulou @ 2020-06-12 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,
I'm having trouble locating the part of code that associates a network card
with the dpdk internally used port id.

For example, when I bind two ports with pci slots 0000:86:00.0
and 0000:86:00.1 to dpdk driver igb_uio , how does dpdk populate this
information and give a port id in each port? Is there a way to know this
association without accessing dpdk structs by using functions like
rte_eth_dev_get_name_by_port(portid,
name)?

I'm using dpdk app l2fwd and dpdk version 19.11.

Thanks,
Georgia

* Re: [dpdk-users] Trouble locating functionality in code
@ 2020-06-12 15:01 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-06-12 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georgia Panoutsakopoulou; +Cc: users

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 17:47:47 +0300
Georgia Panoutsakopoulou <gpanoutsak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm having trouble locating the part of code that associates a network card
> with the dpdk internally used port id.
>
> For example, when I bind two ports with pci slots 0000:86:00.0
> and 0000:86:00.1 to dpdk driver igb_uio , how does dpdk populate this
> information and give a port id in each port? Is there a way to know this
> association without accessing dpdk structs by using functions like
> rte_eth_dev_get_name_by_port(portid,
> name)?
>
> I'm using dpdk app l2fwd and dpdk version 19.11.
>
> Thanks,
> Georgia

It is done by the PCI probing code that does a walk of sysfs.