* [dpdk-users] How to test DPDK port in VM workstation player
@ 2021-03-02 12:21 Vijayakumar Athithan
From: Vijayakumar Athithan @ 2021-03-02 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, Vijayakumar Athithan

Hi,

I have been exploring DPDK 19.xx for a firewall use case demo. Over the
last few weeks I was able to understand how to run testpmd, dpdk-pdump,
basicfwd. I was able to build DPDK, compile examples and bind the DPDK
drivers to NIC interfaces as well using dpdk-setup.sh.

I struggle to test DPDK applications as my laptop NIC is not supported by
DPDK. Then I used a VMware workstation player where host OS is Windows10
and guest OS is Ubuntu 16.xx. In VM I get e1000 (  Intel Corporation 82540EM)
as ethernet controller.

I get I/O error when I try to run DPDK applications as there is known
limitation on using  Intel Corporation 82540EM based on one of the