* Question about dpdk-pdump ring buffer
@ 2022-04-08  6:50 sakaia
From: sakaia @ 2022-04-08  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Question about dpdk-pdump ring buffer

With updating from 21.08 to 21.11, The packet capture is failed.
Previously(21.08) it works fine.

I want to know 2 things
a)the difference of dpdk-pdump between 21.08 and 21.11 (seems bpf changes)
b)where pcap capture the ring buffer for secondary process?

The output is coming from print_pdump_stats function is zero for 3 parameters.(N.B.1)
Above parameters are counted on pdump_rxtx function.(it is zero on this function also)
The ring seems copied under mp_handle (process_msg) or mp_pdump.

P.S.
I understand dpdk-pdump seems to be deprecated by introducing dpdk-dumpcap.

Reference
  https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/pdump_lib.html
  https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/multi_proc_support.html

N.B.1

##### PDUMP DEBUG STATS #####
 -packets dequeued:                     0
 -packets transmitted to vdev:          0
 -packets freed:                        0

Thanks in advance

Atsushi SAKAI

* Re: Question about dpdk-pdump ring buffer
@ 2022-04-08 15:11 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-04-08 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sakaia; +Cc: users

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:50:36 +0000
"sakaia@fujitsu.com" <sakaia@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Question about dpdk-pdump ring buffer
>
> With updating from 21.08 to 21.11, The packet capture is failed.
> Previously(21.08) it works fine.
>
> I want to know 2 things
> a)the difference of dpdk-pdump between 21.08 and 21.11 (seems bpf changes)
> b)where pcap capture the ring buffer for secondary process?
>
> The output is coming from print_pdump_stats function is zero for 3 parameters.(N.B.1)
> Above parameters are counted on pdump_rxtx function.(it is zero on this function also)
> The ring seems copied under mp_handle (process_msg) or mp_pdump.
>
> P.S.
> I understand dpdk-pdump seems to be deprecated by introducing dpdk-dumpcap.
>
> Reference
>   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/pdump_lib.html
>   https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/multi_proc_support.html
>
> N.B.1
>
> ##### PDUMP DEBUG STATS #####
>  -packets dequeued:                     0
>  -packets transmitted to vdev:          0
>  -packets freed:                        0
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Atsushi SAKAI

What is the application, is it built wit 21.11?

Note: You can't mix DPDK versions. The ring is internal structure so both application
and pdump must be built from same version.