From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: Mikael R Carlsson <Mikael.R.Carlsson@tietoevry.com>
Cc: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: Configure timestamp source for dpdk-pdump on E810 and DPDK 19.11
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 08:02:06 -0700

On Fri, 6 May 2022 07:46:39 +0000
Mikael R Carlsson <Mikael.R.Carlsson@tietoevry.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am using a Intel E810-XXVDA4 and DPDK version 19.11. During troubleshooting we have captures outgoing traffic with dpdk-pdump:
>
> dpdk-pdump -- --pdump 'port=1,queue=*,tx-dev=/tmp/tx.pcap
>
> I have opened the pcap-file in wireshark and I can see that some packets are delayed. However, system behavior indicates that the delays I see in the pcap file are not correct, they are too big. My questions is, how is the timestamp on packets in the pcap from dpdk-pdump created, like NIC HW generated, CPU time at disk write etc. or something else? Are there any run-time or build-time options to change the source of the timestamps?
>
>   / Mikael

Follow up.  The older dump-pdump in 19.11 does timestamps when packet is read
from the ring which is bad.

You might have better luck with DPDK 20.11 and the dpdk-dumpcap which puts
timestamp in when packet is put into ring.

Let me give picture:

        Application (primary)

              |             dumpcap (secondary)
                                     3

The ==== is ringbuffer between processes

1. Where 20.11 with dpdk-dumpcap gets timestamp
2. Where you want the timestamp but is not possible
3. Where 19.11 and dpdk-pdump gets timestamp