* [dpdk-users] dpdk-20.11 and shared libraries
@ 2021-04-20 16:24 Templin (US), Fred L
From: Templin (US), Fred L @ 2021-04-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, Stephen Hemminger

Hi, I have put a lot of time into learning about dpdk-20.11 but I have not yet found
documentation on how to use it with shared libraries.  In dpdk-20.11, the examples
are all built as "static" by default meaning that the entire kitchen sink of all DPDK
libraries are linked in during the "ld" phase and the resulting binary is huge. When
built as "static", the examples all appear to work fine as everything is loaded by
default at runtime.

When I build the examples as "shared", however, the story is completely different.
Examples that run fine as "static" do not work at all when built as "shared". It is
clear that somehow the build procedure is not giving adequate instructions to the
loader so that all necessary libraries will be ready to go at runtime.

I believe what needs to happen is that initialization code needs to be added to the
example "main.c" modules to initialize functions that will be needed by lower levels
but that are not being picked up on by the loader. But, I can find no documentation
for how to do this. In my next message, I will send a code example of what I have
tried so far.

Stephen, can you provide guidance on how to work with dpdk-20.11 in shared
library environments? I would be happy to be pointed to any documentation
I may be missing.

Thanks - Fred