* [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-26 15:52 Mohammad Masumi
From: Mohammad Masumi @ 2021-09-26 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi

I have HP server with 768GB memory 384GB in each Numa but I can't allocate
more than 64GB by rte_malloc by changing some parameters in rte_config.h it
increased to 128GB
How to increase heap size?

* Re: [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-29  9:58 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-09-29  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammad Masumi
  Cc: users, anatoly.burakov, dmitry.kozliuk, bruce.richardson, stephen

26/09/2021 17:52, Mohammad Masumi:
> Hi
>
> I have HP server with 768GB memory 384GB in each Numa but I can't allocate
> more than 64GB by rte_malloc by changing some parameters in rte_config.h it
> increased to 128GB
> How to increase heap size?

adding people Cc to help

* RE: [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-29 10:14   ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2021-09-29 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Mohammad Masumi
> > I have HP server with 768GB memory 384GB in each Numa but I can't
> > allocate more than 64GB by rte_malloc by changing some parameters in
> > rte_config.h it increased to 128GB How to increase heap size?
>
> adding people Cc to help

Hi,

This is intentional. In order to increase the amount of contiguous allocation possible to perform in DPDK, you need to adjust the following values in rte_config.h:

#define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST 8192
#define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_LIST 32768
#define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE 32768
#define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE 65536

I do not recommend arbitrarily changing them as this is untested, but increasing them proportionally (e.g. multiply all of them by 2 or 4) should not break anything.

Thanks,
Anatoly

* Re: [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-29 11:12     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-09-29 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammad Masumi, Burakov, Anatoly
  Cc: users, dmitry.kozliuk, Richardson, Bruce, stephen

29/09/2021 12:14, Burakov, Anatoly:
> From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> > 26/09/2021 17:52, Mohammad Masumi:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have HP server with 768GB memory 384GB in each Numa but I can't
> > > allocate more than 64GB by rte_malloc by changing some parameters in
> > > rte_config.h it increased to 128GB How to increase heap size?
> >
> > adding people Cc to help
> >

> Hi,
>
> This is intentional. In order to increase the amount of contiguous allocation possible to perform in DPDK, you need to adjust the following values in rte_config.h:
>
> #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST 8192
> #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_LIST 32768
> #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE 32768
> #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE 65536
>
> I do not recommend arbitrarily changing them as this is untested, but increasing them proportionally (e.g. multiply all of them by 2 or 4) should not break anything.

It looks to be something to add in docs, right?

* RE: [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-29 12:43       ` Burakov, Anatoly
From: Burakov, Anatoly @ 2021-09-29 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Mohammad Masumi

> > > adding people Cc to help
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > This is intentional. In order to increase the amount of contiguous allocation
> possible to perform in DPDK, you need to adjust the following values in
> rte_config.h:
> >
> > #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST 8192
> > #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_LIST 32768
> > #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE 32768
> > #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE 65536
> >
> > I do not recommend arbitrarily changing them as this is untested, but
> increasing them proportionally (e.g. multiply all of them by 2 or 4) should not
> break anything.
>
> It looks to be something to add in docs, right?

[[AB]]
Yes, which is why I already have 😃

http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/env_abstraction_layer.html#memory-mapping-discovery-and-memory-reservation

There's a section on "Maximum amount of memory" there.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Memory allocation limits
@ 2021-09-29 12:55         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-09-29 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burakov, Anatoly
  Cc: Mohammad Masumi, users, dmitry.kozliuk, Richardson, Bruce, stephen

29/09/2021 14:43, Burakov, Anatoly:
> From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> > 29/09/2021 12:14, Burakov, Anatoly:
> > > From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> > >
> > > This is intentional. In order to increase the amount of contiguous allocation
> > possible to perform in DPDK, you need to adjust the following values in
> > rte_config.h:
> > >
> > > #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST 8192
> > > #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_LIST 32768
> > > #define RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE 32768
> > > #define RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE 65536
> > >
> > > I do not recommend arbitrarily changing them as this is untested, but
> > increasing them proportionally (e.g. multiply all of them by 2 or 4) should not
> > break anything.
> >
> > It looks to be something to add in docs, right?
>
> [[AB]]
> Yes, which is why I already have 😃
>
> http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/env_abstraction_layer.html#memory-mapping-discovery-and-memory-reservation
>
> There's a section on "Maximum amount of memory" there.

It says "Normally, these options do not need to be changed."
Would it be meaningful to add how we can increase (by multiplying all of them)?