From: Pierre <pierre.laurent@emutex.com>
To: users@dpdk.org
Cc: prashanth.fernando@tatacommunications.com
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Run To Completion Vs Pipeline
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 08:01:21 +0100	[thread overview]

HI

In a run-to-completion simple model on a single core,

    - you have full control of the execution order and packet
transmission order, typically being strictly the same than reception order.

   - simple model to make it easy to debug and learn DPDK code.

   - simple model to get deterministic latencies.

   - will not scale easily, because the bottleneck is the whole sw.

In a simple pipeline model,

   - execution order get less deterministic .

     If the problems to solve are stateless (no dependency between
packets), that might be ok,

     extreme scalability is easy to achieve.

   - you need queues between pipelined components. You have to handle
overflows and bottlenecks,

     and decisions to throttle and drop traffic is yours.

    - you might wish to use priority queues, i.e. much more complex
design with its own drawbacks

      and failure cases , and debugging uncertainties. Latencies get
hairy to analyse.

There are all intermediates between these extremes , e.g. pipelining
across multiple  run-to-completion stateful subsystems

- stateful TCP reordering and reassembly,

- IP reordering and reassembly, IPSec , fragmentations  between networks
with different mtus

- UDP reassembly before regex

- IGMP packets and multicast packets

- ...... all the networking fun .....

  - and you have to design your subsystem to best fit workloads vs.
processing power of each core.

you could switch dynamically from one model to the other one depending
on traffic rates

- at low traffic rate, get the best use of a single core and save the
maximum of power on the system

   this would favour a run-to-completion model at run time.

- at high traffic rate, wake up multiple cores

    this would favour a piplining model at run time.

--
Emutex Limited, Roselawn House, National Technology Park, Limerick, V94 6R68, Ireland.
Phone: +353 (0)61 514496 Ext# 814, Web: www.emutex.com.