* [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29  8:50 Jeevjyot Chhabda
From: Jeevjyot Chhabda @ 2015-10-29  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

hello,

I want to install dpdk on macbook pro, configuration of my machine is

Hardware Overview:

      Model Name: MacBook Pro
      Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
      Processor Name: Intel Core i5
      Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
      Total Number of Cores: 2
      L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
      L3 Cache: 3 MB
      Memory: 8 GB
      Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0167.B14
      SMC Version (system): 2.28f7
      Serial Number (system): C02Q8PZDFVH5
      Hardware UUID: 07760DBB-A8C6-5AA5-B976-1C5147FD937F

Number of logical core: 4.
is it possible to install on MacBook pro  or should i go ahead with linux?

thank you.

Regards,

Jeevjyot Singh Chhabda,
Graduate Student Representative ,
Computer science,
Fresno State,CA

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29 11:59 ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2015-10-29 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeevjyot Chhabda; +Cc: users

Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.

@ 2015-10-29 12:16   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2015-10-29 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette, Jeevjyot Chhabda; +Cc: users

2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
> Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.

NO
This answer is useless.
Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:50 AM, Jeevjyot Chhabda <
> jeevsingh@mail.fresnostate.edu> wrote:
> > is it possible to install on MacBook pro  or should i go ahead with linux?

It is not supported, no.
I think there is no benefit to do it.
If you want to test DPDK, it's simpler to spawn a Linux VM.

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29 13:19     ` Jay Rolette
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jay Rolette @ 2015-10-29 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
wrote:

> 2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
> > Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.
>
> NO
> This answer is useless.
> Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.

So you don't expect users to make ANY effort?

If it required someone to go look at the code, I'd agree with you. In this
case, you don't even have to get past the table of contents of the User's
Guide.

Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
(said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29 13:54       ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2015-10-29 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette; +Cc: users

On 29/10/2015 22:19, Jay Rolette wrote:
> Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
> (said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
> in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

We can guide and help newcomers too! please ,) They may become some
contributors some days.

Then, if they come back every 10 min without doing any efforts, you'll
be right.

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29 14:04       ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2015-10-29 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

On 10/29/15, 8:19 AM, "users on behalf of Jay Rolette" <users-bounces@dpdk.org on behalf of rolette@infiniteio.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
>wrote:
>
>> 2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
>> > Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.
>>
>> NO
>> This answer is useless.
>> Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.
>>

>So you don't expect users to make ANY effort?

I do expect them to make an effort, but you can me nicer here. Telling them

‘No, it does not running directly on OS X, you need a VM running Linux. Try VirtualBox or some other too with Ubuntu Linux.
Plus the documentation is a very useful place to get started as it explains a lot of questions you may have http://dpdk.org/doc ‘

That would have been one of the answers to give instead of a quick 2 second not-so-nice response.

>If it required someone to go look at the code, I'd agree with you. In this
>case, you don't even have to get past the table of contents of the User's
>Guide.
>
>Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
>(said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
>in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK on macbook pro.
@ 2015-10-29 14:22       ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2015-10-29 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: users

Hi Jay,

On 10/29/2015 09:19 AM, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2015-10-29 06:59, Jay Rolette:
>>> Less than 2 mins looking at the docs and you can answer that yourself.
>>
>> NO
>> This answer is useless.
>> Please provide pointers to the docs and give a quick answer.
>>

> So you don't expect users to make ANY effort?
>
> If it required someone to go look at the code, I'd agree with you. In this
> case, you don't even have to get past the table of contents of the User's
> Guide.
>
> Based on his signature, he's a grad student. I'd say my answer to RTFM
> (said in a much nicer way) is one of the better things that will help him
> in his career, so no, definitely not a useless answer.

I agree with Thomas, a naked RTFM is not helpful or welcoming.

A better answer would be "The supported platforms are listed in our
documentation - see here:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/supported_os.html"

Incidentally, I spent more than 2 mins to find that information, it's
not immediately obvious where to find the information in the
documentation - after browsing the docs links, I resorted to a Google
search for "site:dpdk.org supported operating systems" to find that link.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338