DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / Atom feed
* [dpdk-users]  How to specify packet size of testpmd
@ 2020-07-09  9:25 Xu, Chenjie
  2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
  2020-07-09 21:17 ` Cliff Burdick
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,
Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the network performance?

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-09  9:25 [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd Xu, Chenjie
@ 2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
  2020-07-10  8:58   ` Xu, Chenjie
  2020-07-09 21:17 ` Cliff Burdick
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Van Haaren, Harry @ 2020-07-09  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie, users

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users <users-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Xu, Chenjie
> Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:26 AM
> To: users@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
> 
> Hi all,
> Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the
> network performance?

Hi,

Usually, testpmd just forwards the packets it receives. Testpmd itself is not a
"proper" traffic generator, but it does have some capabilities to send some traffic
before starting its rx-tx behavior. 

The command is "start tx_first" and this will by default use a small packet size.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/testpmd_app_ug/testpmd_funcs.html#start-tx-first

There are a number of more powerful DPDK based traffic generators available,
if you require more features. Examples are pktgen, trex, moongen.

Of course, it is also possible to modify a sample application like example/skeleton
to send a specific traffic type, as your particular benchmarking might require.

> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie

Hope that helps, -Harry

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-09  9:25 [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd Xu, Chenjie
  2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
@ 2020-07-09 21:17 ` Cliff Burdick
  2020-07-10  9:06   ` Xu, Chenjie
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Cliff Burdick @ 2020-07-09 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: users

Use "set txpkts" to set the packet size.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:25 AM Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the
> network performance?
>
> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
@ 2020-07-10  8:58   ` Xu, Chenjie
  2020-07-10  9:10     ` Mishal Shah
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi Harry,
Thank you for your email! I'm trying to use pktgen now. Do you know which command should be used to specify the packet size for pktgen?

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

-----Original Message-----
From: Van Haaren, Harry <harry.van.haaren@intel.com> 
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:51 PM
To: Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com>; users@dpdk.org
Subject: RE: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users <users-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Xu, Chenjie
> Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:26 AM
> To: users@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
> 
> Hi all,
> Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test 
> the network performance?

Hi,

Usually, testpmd just forwards the packets it receives. Testpmd itself is not a "proper" traffic generator, but it does have some capabilities to send some traffic before starting its rx-tx behavior. 

The command is "start tx_first" and this will by default use a small packet size.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/testpmd_app_ug/testpmd_funcs.html#start-tx-first

There are a number of more powerful DPDK based traffic generators available, if you require more features. Examples are pktgen, trex, moongen.

Of course, it is also possible to modify a sample application like example/skeleton to send a specific traffic type, as your particular benchmarking might require.

> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie

Hope that helps, -Harry

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-09 21:17 ` Cliff Burdick
@ 2020-07-10  9:06   ` Xu, Chenjie
  2020-07-11  1:49     ` Johnson, Brian
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cliff Burdick; +Cc: users

Hi Cliff,
Thank you for your reply! I have tried “set txpkts” but meet the following problem:
testpmd> set txpkts 128
nb segments per TX packets=1 >= nb_txd=0 - ignored

And I’m trying to use pktgen now.

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

From: Cliff Burdick <shaklee3@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 5:17 AM
To: Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd

Use "set txpkts" to set the packet size.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:25 AM Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com<mailto:chenjie.xu@intel.com>> wrote:
Hi all,
Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the network performance?

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-10  8:58   ` Xu, Chenjie
@ 2020-07-10  9:10     ` Mishal Shah
  2020-07-10  9:15       ` Xu, Chenjie
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Mishal Shah @ 2020-07-10  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi,

You can use the set <portlist> size <value> command on pktgen command
line to set the packet size. If you're using Lua script for more
customizations/situations, you can use the following command: pktgen.set(port,
"size", pktSize);

The entire list of commands can be found at
https://pktgen-dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/latest/commands.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mishal

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-10  9:10     ` Mishal Shah
@ 2020-07-10  9:15       ` Xu, Chenjie
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Xu, Chenjie @ 2020-07-10  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mishal Shah; +Cc: Van Haaren, Harry, users

Hi Mishal,
“set <portlist> size <value>” works weel. Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Xu, Chenjie

From: Mishal Shah <shahmishal1998@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 5:10 PM
To: Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com>
Cc: Van Haaren, Harry <harry.van.haaren@intel.com>; users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd

Hi,

You can use the set <portlist> size <value> command on pktgen command line to set the packet size. If you're using Lua script for more customizations/situations, you can use the following command: pktgen.set(port, "size", pktSize);

The entire list of commands can be found at https://pktgen-dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/latest/commands.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mishal

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
  2020-07-10  9:06   ` Xu, Chenjie
@ 2020-07-11  1:49     ` Johnson, Brian
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Johnson, Brian @ 2020-07-11  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, Chenjie; +Cc: Cliff Burdick, users

Add --rxd 1024 --txd 1024 to the command after -- and the error will go away. You have to set up the size before launching testpmd and using set txpkts 128 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 10, 2020, at 2:07 AM, Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi Cliff,
> Thank you for your reply! I have tried “set txpkts” but meet the following problem:
> testpmd> set txpkts 128
> nb segments per TX packets=1 >= nb_txd=0 - ignored
> 
> And I’m trying to use pktgen now.
> 
> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie
> 
> From: Cliff Burdick <shaklee3@gmail.com>
> Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 5:17 AM
> To: Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com>
> Cc: users@dpdk.org
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd
> 
> Use "set txpkts" to set the packet size.
> 
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:25 AM Xu, Chenjie <chenjie.xu@intel.com<mailto:chenjie.xu@intel.com>> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do you know how to specify the packet size when using testpmd to test the network performance?
> 
> Best Regards,
> Xu, Chenjie

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-07-09  9:25 [dpdk-users] How to specify packet size of testpmd Xu, Chenjie
2020-07-09  9:50 ` Van Haaren, Harry
2020-07-10  8:58   ` Xu, Chenjie
2020-07-10  9:10     ` Mishal Shah
2020-07-10  9:15       ` Xu, Chenjie
2020-07-09 21:17 ` Cliff Burdick
2020-07-10  9:06   ` Xu, Chenjie
2020-07-11  1:49     ` Johnson, Brian

DPDK usage discussions

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox