From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] Intel XL710, timestamping
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 11:36:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Is there a way to enable HW timestamps with this Intel card using DPDK
by means of the IEEE1588 set of function API? (Dpdk 20.08).

In my understanding the nic should support hardware time-stamping of RX
packets if: "A separate PTP application would be required that
communicates directly with the controller on the XL710" cit from
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Does-intel-XL710-QDA2-support-HW-timestamping/m-p/563064

Is there a way to make this work in DPDK? I'm honestly not sure what
does it mean exactly "communicates directly with the controller", but I
assume it has something to do with rte_eth_timesync_* ?

I've actually tried already a test, I've executed
rte_eth_timesync_enable/rte_eth_timesync_write_time and then verified
with rte_eth_timesync_read_rx_timestamp if the timestamp is stored, and
it seems it's there - but the packets are all coming with 0 in the
timestamp field (mbuf)..

Thanks

--
BR, Filip