* [dpdk-users] Using devbind.py for automated testing
@ 2020-01-29 10:55 Waqqas Jabbar
From: Waqqas Jabbar @ 2020-01-29 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi

I am new here, so please bear with me. I am trying to automate the
process of bind/unbinding NICs between kernel and DPDK for automated
testing.

The devbind.py script is not very friendly to script. I have to run
the status command, parse the output (using regex) and then run the
script with the correct parameters to bind/unbind and parse output
again to verify the results.

My idea is to run the devbind.py as a REST API server and expose the
devices and operations through JSON input and output. I can get the
list of devices, using the GET request and bind/unbind it using the
PUT request on a device. The output would a JSON object with an
updated result. Automating it would be easy, leading to a more robust
solution.

My questions are:
- Has anyone developed similar functionality? if yes, please share its details.
- Any better way to achieve the same functionality?

Thanks in advance
Waqqas

* Re: [dpdk-users] Using devbind.py for automated testing
@ 2020-01-30 23:13 ` David Christensen
From: David Christensen @ 2020-01-30 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

> My questions are:
> - Has anyone developed similar functionality? if yes, please share its details.
> - Any better way to achieve the same functionality?

Have you seen the driverctl application?
https://gitlab.com/driverctl/driverctl

I've found it useful for scripting with Ansible.

# driverctl list-devices
# driverctl list-overrides
# driverctl -v set-override 0000:00:01.0 vfio
# driverctl -v unset-override 0000:00:01.0

Dave

* Re: [dpdk-users] Using devbind.py for automated testing
@ 2020-01-31  5:02   ` Waqqas Jabbar
From: Waqqas Jabbar @ 2020-01-31  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Christensen; +Cc: users

Thanks David. I will check it out