* [dpdk-users] mlx5 PMD fails to receive certain icmpv6 multicast
@ 2020-03-06  0:45 Liwu Liu
From: Liwu Liu @ 2020-03-06  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi Team,

I am using the mlx5/100G in KVM guest. The host shows this PCI vfNIC is provisioned to the guest:
      "17:01.1 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27800 Family [ConnectX-5 Virtual Function]"

I am using DPDK 19.11 with kind of standard configurations, and when DPDK application runs I still have the kernel mlx5e net device present. I have both promiscuous and all-multicast turned on.

It works fine for IPV4, but for IPV6 it fails. It can receive packets destined to 33:33:00:00:00:02 (IPV6 Router solicitation), but cannot receive packets destined to 33:33:ff:00:00:01 (IPV6 neighbor solicitation for some address).

But if I avoid DPDK, directly use the OFED-4.6 based kernel driver, everything works fine as expected.

I am thinking there is some mismatch happened for MLX5 PMD. Please give some advice/hints.

Many thanks

Liwu

***  Please note that this message and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary material and information and are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies, whether electronic or printed. Please also note that any views, opinions, conclusions or commitments expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of Fortinet, Inc., its affiliates, and emails are not binding on Fortinet and only a writing manually signed by Fortinet's General Counsel can be a binding commitment of Fortinet to Fortinet's customers or partners. Thank you. ***

* Re: [dpdk-users] mlx5 PMD fails to receive certain icmpv6 multicast
@ 2020-03-26 21:11 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-03-26 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liwu Liu; +Cc: users, erezf, kiranv, rasland, asafp

06/03/2020 01:45, Liwu Liu:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am using the mlx5/100G in KVM guest. The host shows this PCI vfNIC is provisioned to the guest:
>       "17:01.1 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27800 Family [ConnectX-5 Virtual Function]"
>
> I am using DPDK 19.11 with kind of standard configurations, and when DPDK application runs I still have the kernel mlx5e net device present. I have both promiscuous and all-multicast turned on.
>
> It works fine for IPV4, but for IPV6 it fails. It can receive packets destined to 33:33:00:00:00:02 (IPV6 Router solicitation), but cannot receive packets destined to 33:33:ff:00:00:01 (IPV6 neighbor solicitation for some address).
>
> But if I avoid DPDK, directly use the OFED-4.6 based kernel driver, everything works fine as expected.
>
> I am thinking there is some mismatch happened for MLX5 PMD. Please give some advice/hints.

Adding Mellanox engineers in Cc list for help.