From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
To: users@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-users] Bigger mempool leads to worst performances.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 16:02:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi All,

I'm very aware the question is generic, but we can't really understand
what would be the problem here..

In short, we've a capture software running smoothly at 20GbE and
capturing everything, recently we've switched gear and increased the
amount of data, and encountered some drops.

One of the first ideas was that increasing the mempool for the port
would lead to some performance benefit or worst case scenario to no
change in the drop rate, but, unexpectedly we started dropping
*substantially more* packets..

It looks like that in our environment increasing the mempool reduce the
capture performance, any suggestion on what I might look at to
troubleshoot the problem? Apparently we can't go beyond 4GiB mempool
without performance penalties.

(Please note that 1GiB hugepage are configured to serve all the require
additional memory.)

Thanks

--
BR, Filip