DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: "Zhang, Roy Fan" <roy.fan.zhang@intel.com>
To: Arto Sänkiaho <artosank@gmail.com>, "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Problems running test-pipeline.
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 16:15:22 +0000
Message-ID: <9F7182E3F746AB4EA17801C148F3C60409CEDB40@IRSMSX101.ger.corp.intel.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <CAPrjZ68W1+w-oqDN_9YqWM8T7_evDvq7U-+JsjaiyLniTz-X+Q@mail.gmail.com>

Hello,

Thank you for using DPDK.

testpipeline mainly passes the received packets to different tables inside pipeline, and, if the pipeline works correctly, forwards the packets back to output ports. 

To use testpipeline, you may have to have Ethernet packets sending to the correct port(s) continuously. 
And the only way to check if the pipeline correctly is to monitor the port output seeing if the pipeline has forwarded the packets back. There is no interactive commands for testpipeline.

Please check if your port is physically connected. To avail the purpose of testpipeline, please connect your server running the program with the with device capable of generating and monitoring packet flows, like a packet generator. 
If the answer is yes, please bond different ports to dpdk and run the program again.

Regards,
Fan

> Hello, i am new with DPDK and i am trying to run the test-pipeline program.
> 
> Here is the output when i run it:
> 
> ./testpipeline -c 0x07 -- -p 0x01
> EAL: Detected lcore 0 as core 0 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 1 as core 0 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 2 as core 1 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 3 as core 1 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 4 as core 2 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 5 as core 2 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 6 as core 3 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 7 as core 3 on socket 0
> EAL: Support maximum 128 logical core(s) by configuration.
> EAL: Detected 8 lcore(s)
> EAL: VFIO modules not all loaded, skip VFIO support...
> EAL: Setting up physically contiguous memory...
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x7000000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f6689400000 (size = 0x7000000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x1c00000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f6687600000 (size = 0x1c00000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x4000000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f6683400000 (size = 0x4000000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x1800000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f6681a00000 (size = 0x1800000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f6681600000 (size = 0x200000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x11800000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f666fc00000 (size = 0x11800000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7f666f800000 (size = 0x200000)
> EAL: Requesting 256 pages of size 2MB from socket 0
> EAL: TSC frequency is ~1795851 KHz
> EAL: Master lcore 0 is ready (tid=91f13940;cpuset=[0])
> EAL: lcore 1 is ready (tid=6f7ff700;cpuset=[1])
> EAL: lcore 2 is ready (tid=6effe700;cpuset=[2])
> EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1533 rte_igb_pmd
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f6690400000
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7f6690500000
> PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 0 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1533
> EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1533 rte_igb_pmd
> EAL:   Not managed by a supported kernel driver, skipped
> USER1: Creating the mbuf pool ...
> USER1: Initializing NIC port 0 ...
> PMD: eth_igb_rx_queue_setup(): sw_ring=0x7f666f936dc0
> hw_ring=0x7f666f937200 dma_addr=0x208337200
> PMD: eth_igb_tx_queue_setup(): To improve 1G driver performance, consider setting the TX WTHRESH value to 4, 8, or 16.
> PMD: eth_igb_tx_queue_setup(): sw_ring=0x7f666f924c40
> hw_ring=0x7f666f926c80 dma_addr=0x208326c80
> PMD: eth_igb_start(): <<
> USER1: Port 0 (0 Gbps) DOWN
> PANIC in app_ports_check_link():
> Some NIC ports are DOWN
> 6: [./testpipeline() [0x42b7b3]]
> 5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
> [0x7f6691038ec5]]
> 4: [./testpipeline(main+0x34) [0x42a2f4]]
> 3: [./testpipeline(app_init+0x336) [0x42c0a6]]
> 2: [./testpipeline(__rte_panic+0xc9) [0x424d9e]]
> 1: [./testpipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x1a) [0x492b8a] $
> 
> Here is the nic bind info
> 
> $ dpdk_nic_bind -s
> 
> Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver ============================================
> 0000:01:00.0 'I210 Gigabit Network Connection' drv=igb_uio unused=
> 
> Network devices using kernel driver
> ===================================
> 0000:00:19.0 'Ethernet Connection I218-LM' if=eth2 drv=e1000e unused=igb_uio *Active*
> 0000:02:00.0 'I210 Gigabit Network Connection' if=eth0 drv=igb unused=igb_uio
> 
> Other network devices
> =====================
> <none>
> 
> Changing port mask to 0x04 or any other value gives following error:
> 
> ./testpipeline -c 0x07 -- -p 0x04
> EAL: Detected lcore 0 as core 0 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 1 as core 0 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 2 as core 1 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 3 as core 1 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 4 as core 2 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 5 as core 2 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 6 as core 3 on socket 0
> EAL: Detected lcore 7 as core 3 on socket 0
> EAL: Support maximum 128 logical core(s) by configuration.
> EAL: Detected 8 lcore(s)
> EAL: VFIO modules not all loaded, skip VFIO support...
> EAL: Setting up physically contiguous memory...
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x7000000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fceeb000000 (size = 0x7000000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x1c00000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fcee9200000 (size = 0x1c00000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x4000000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fcee5000000 (size = 0x4000000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x1800000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fcee3600000 (size = 0x1800000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fcee3200000 (size = 0x200000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x11800000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fced1800000 (size = 0x11800000)
> EAL: Ask a virtual area of 0x200000 bytes
> EAL: Virtual area found at 0x7fced1400000 (size = 0x200000)
> EAL: Requesting 256 pages of size 2MB from socket 0
> EAL: TSC frequency is ~1795851 KHz
> EAL: Master lcore 0 is ready (tid=f3c37940;cpuset=[0])
> EAL: lcore 1 is ready (tid=d13ff700;cpuset=[1])
> EAL: lcore 2 is ready (tid=d0bfe700;cpuset=[2])
> EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1533 rte_igb_pmd
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7fcef2000000
> EAL:   PCI memory mapped at 0x7fcef2100000
> PMD: eth_igb_dev_init(): port_id 0 vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1533
> EAL: PCI device 0000:02:00.0 on NUMA socket -1
> EAL:   probe driver: 8086:1533 rte_igb_pmd
> EAL:   Not managed by a supported kernel driver, skipped
> USER1: Creating the mbuf pool ...
> USER1: Initializing NIC port 2 ...
> PANIC in app_init_ports():
> Cannot init NIC port 2 (-22)
> 6: [./testpipeline() [0x42b7b3]]
> 5: [/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf5)
> [0x7fcef2d5cec5]]
> 4: [./testpipeline(main+0x34) [0x42a2f4]]
> 3: [./testpipeline(app_init+0x3a2) [0x42c112]]
> 2: [./testpipeline(__rte_panic+0xc9) [0x424d9e]]
> 1: [./testpipeline(rte_dump_stack+0x1a) [0x492b8a]]
> 
> What i'm doing wrong here ?
> 
> There is probably some configuration step missing or misconfiguration but i could not figure out what it is.
> 
> Thank you in advance.

       reply	other threads:[~2015-12-23 16:15 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
     [not found] <CAPrjZ68W1+w-oqDN_9YqWM8T7_evDvq7U-+JsjaiyLniTz-X+Q@mail.gmail.com>
2015-12-23 16:15 ` Zhang, Roy Fan [this message]
2015-12-31  9:25   ` Arto Sänkiaho
2016-01-04 16:03     ` Zhang, Roy Fan
2016-01-04 22:27     ` Vijay S
2016-01-05  6:59       ` Arto Sänkiaho
2016-01-05  9:55         ` Zhang, Roy Fan
2016-01-09 14:35           ` Arto Sänkiaho
2021-09-24 18:09 Jimmy Bauer

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=9F7182E3F746AB4EA17801C148F3C60409CEDB40@IRSMSX101.ger.corp.intel.com \
    --to=roy.fan.zhang@intel.com \
    --cc=artosank@gmail.com \
    --cc=users@dpdk.org \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

DPDK usage discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git