* [dpdk-users] RSS distribution of Encapsulated packets
@ 2019-06-10 11:29 sasidhar reddy
From: sasidhar reddy @ 2019-06-10 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,
Our application needs to process encapsulated packets(Custom encapsulation,
adding our proprietary header to packets). NIC RSS is not distributing the
packets across all the cores(queues) setup. Packets are always landing in a
single core(default core). We are not looking at software based
distribution due to scalability.

1) Is there any way to use RSS/VMDQ to serve this purpose at NIC?
 2) Can we configure NIC to perform round robin distribution?

Note:
We use XL710 NIC

Regards,
Sashi

* Re: [dpdk-users] RSS distribution of Encapsulated packets
@ 2019-06-11  8:58 ` Chilikin, Andrey
From: Chilikin, Andrey @ 2019-06-11  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sasidhar reddy, users

Hi Sashi,

There could be a few solutions, depending on how your encapsulation is implemented:
* flexible payload to extract up to 16 bytes from the packet for RSS: works for L2/L3/L4 payloads
* special configuration of L2 tags: works for headers with the specific  Ethertypes
* Dynamic Device Personalization (DDP): reprograming parser to understand new L2/L3/L4 protocols

Regards,
Andrey