---------- Forwarded message --------- From: Fuji Nafiul Date: Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 9:22 AM Subject: Re: Help Running Example To: Alan Beadle In the case of the " number of ports must be even " error, it's a simple one. if you look into the code, you will see that it is checking for the number of ports and it is giving an error if the port number is not even as the skeleton app mainly receives packet on 1 port and forward them to a different port (as far as I remember). So, for the sake of simplicity, if you have odd numbers of ports or just a single port, don't worry, just comment out the port number checking and you can even comment out the tx part ( rte_eth_tx_burst() ) and rather free all received packets. Then run and monitor the packet counting which will give you a kick start and later you can try replying to arp requests to expose IP by which you will be able to establish udp/tcp connection.. I suggest try udp first (I also only worked with UDP in dpdk) and you will get a lot of help about this from "bond" app in the official examples. On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 9:34 PM Alan Beadle wrote: > Hi, > > I need some help getting DPDK working. I am running Ubuntu 20.04 with > a modified Linux 5.4 kernel, but I have also tried the stock Ubuntu > 5.15 kernel with the same results. > > Here is my NIC info from lspci: > 00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (3) > I219-LM (rev 09) > > I built and installed DPDK from source, and applied the following boot > flags: "intel_iommu=on iommu=pt" > > After booting I did the following as root: > echo 1024 > /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages/hugepages-2048kB/nr_hugepages > ifconfig enp0s31f6 down > dpdk-devbind.py --bind=vfio-pci 0000:00:1f.6 > > All of this appeared to work. > > I tried running the "skeleton" example program and got the following > output: > sudo ./build/basicfwd > EAL: Detected CPU lcores: 16 > EAL: Detected NUMA nodes: 1 > EAL: Detected shared linkage of DPDK > EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket > EAL: Selected IOVA mode 'VA' > EAL: VFIO support initialized > EAL: 0000:00:1f.6 VFIO group is not viable! Not all devices in IOMMU > group bound to VFIO or unbound > EAL: Requested device 0000:00:1f.6 cannot be used > TELEMETRY: No legacy callbacks, legacy socket not created > EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1 > Cause: Error: number of ports must be even > > I'm not at all familiar with DPDK or VFIO. What might the problem be? > > -Alan >