From: fwefew 4t4tg <7532yahoo@gmail.com>
To: David Christensen <drc@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: If or how one gets an IP address associated with a vfio-pci bound NIC
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 21:40:39 -0400

> David wrote:
> >I don't think you understand the intent behind the DPDK framework.
>
> Thank you. Indeed I stand corrected. Associating an IP address with the
DPDK NIC works from a bad frame on the problem.

I'd appreciate one additional bit of information if possible. Once the DPDK
NIC is bound to vfio-pci the DPDK Linux manual at
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#vfio mentions
setup steps including:

Create the desired number of VF devices
echo 2 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:86:00.0/sriov_numvfs

My question: what is the upper bound on the number of VF devices? What's
the thinking process? For example,
maybe one of these approaches makes sense?

- VF device count is bound from above by the number or RX/TX queues
- VF device count is bound from above by the amount of on-NIC memory
- VF device count is bound from above by manufacturer. Each NIC has some
max; read specs
- VF device count is like the number of ports on a UNIX: 1000s are
available and what you need depends on software: how many concurrent
connections are needed?

DPDK must have an API that programatically discovers the PFs and VFs per PF.

Finally: is a VF device duplex (sends and receives)? Or just RX or just TX
only?

Thank you.