* [dpdk-users] DPDK EAL Init failing in VM guest UIO_RESOURCE_LIST
@ 2020-09-08 19:14 Steve Roberts
From: Steve Roberts @ 2020-09-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

In pursuit of the vhost example:
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/sample_app_ug/vhost.html#parameters
I'm trying to ensure that DPDK is installed correctly and is working
withing a guest VM, but it appears that in the VM the EAL is failing to
initialize in dpdk-helloworld.
Unlike the example, my VM does not yet have a vhost-user (perhaps the
problem).

[root@guestA dpdk]# hugeadm --pool-list

      Size  Minimum  Current  Maximum  Default
   2097152       10       10       10        *
1073741824        0        0        0
[root@guestA dpdk]# ./dpdk-helloworld -l 0-1 -n 2
EAL: Detected 4 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes
EAL: UIO_RESOURCE_LIST tailq is already registered
PANIC in tailqinitfn_rte_uio_tailq():
Cannot initialize tailq: UIO_RESOURCE_LIST

The host is running OVS with an ovs-bridge that is passed to the guest VM
as a network; this is for NIC access.  I'd like to be able to ensure that
helloworld works so that I can expand this scenario were the guest has a
NIC port connected to a OVS-dpdk-vhost port, but I'm not sure why error is

[root@cn03 ~]# vi /tmp/ovs-network.xml
<network>
<name>ovs-network</name>
<forward mode='bridge'/>
<bridge name='ovs-br0'/>
<virtualport type='openvswitch'/>
</network>

virt-install \
--virt-type=kvm \
--name guestA \
--ram 8192 \
--vcpus 4 \
--os-variant generic \
--os-type generic \
--network network:ovs-network \
--graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 \
--noautoconsole \
--console pty,target_type=serial \
--disk
path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/guestA.qcow2,size=40,device=disk,bus=virtio,cache=none

I hazard a guess that the message meant at least one uio_pci_generic driver
might need to be bound for EAL to initialize.
However, following the guidance of the vhost example, that was thwarted.

modprobe uio_pci_generic
$RTE_SDK/usertools/dpdk-devbind.py -b uio_pci_generic 0000:00:04.0

[root@guestA dpdk]# lspci
00:01.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device
00:02.0 USB controller: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU XHCI Host Controller (rev 01)
00:03.0 SCSI storage controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio SCSI
00:04.0 Communication controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio console
00:05.0 SCSI storage controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio block device
00:06.0 Unclassified device [00ff]: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio memory balloon
00:07.0 VGA compatible controller: Device 1234:1111 (rev 02)
[root@guestA dpdk]# dpdk-devbind.py -b uio_pci_generic 00:04.0

    for d in dev_list:
  File
"/fomshare/home/robers/dpdk-stable-19.11.3/install/bin/dpdk-devbind.py",
line 352, in dev_id_from_dev_name
    "Please specify device in \"bus:slot.func\" format" % dev_name)
ValueError: Unknown device: 00:04.0. Please specify device in
"bus:slot.func" format

Any insight appreciated.

version: dpdk-stable-19.11.3
os:       RHEL 8.2
guest kernel: Linux guestA.localdomain 4.18.0-193.el8
host kernel: Linux cn03 4.18.0-147.el8

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-08 19:14 UTC | newest]