* [dpdk-users] mlx5: packets lost between good+discard and phy counters
@ 2021-04-03  0:03 Gerry Wan
From: Gerry Wan @ 2021-04-03  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I have a simple forwarding experiment using a mlx5 NIC directly connected
to a generator. I am noticing that at high enough throughput,
rx_good_packets + rx_phy_discard_packets may not equal rx_phy_packets.
Where are these packets being dropped?

Below is an example xstats where I receive at almost the limit of what my
application can handle with no loss. It shows rx_phy_discard_packets is 0
but the number actually received by the CPU is less than rx_phy_packets.
rx_out_of_buffer and other errors are also 0.

I have disabled Ethernet flow control via rte_eth_dev_flow_ctrl_set with
mode = RTE_FC_NONE, if that matters.

{
    "rx_good_packets": 319992439,
    "tx_good_packets": 0,