* [dpdk-users] Hugepages does not release after DPDK-App termination.
@ 2019-09-04 11:59 Byonggon Chun
From: Byonggon Chun @ 2019-09-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bg.chun, users

Hi, Forks.

I found that the hugepages which took by DPDK lib did not release, after
the termination of dpdk-app .

Is this an intended behavior of DPDK so that should I give an option to
DPDK?

For more details, I pre-allocated 5 of 1GB hugepages per socket; I ran a
sample on a 2-socket machine.

Before running DPDK-app, each socket had five free hugepages.

When a DPDK-app(testpmd or eventdev_pipeline) running on socket 0, one of
the 1GB hugepages was consumed by DPDK lib on a socket 0.

(so 4 of 1GB hugepages remained on socket 0 as free hugepages)

After termination of DPDK-app, I expected that the 5 of 1GB hugepages would
available on socket 0.

But only 4 of 1GB hugepages were available on socket 0.

Below is more information about my server and configuration.

-The machine has 1GB NIC on socket 0

-set 5 of 1GB-Hugepages per socket

-modprobe uio & insmod igb_uio

-bind port to igb_uio

I'm running DPDK samples in a following way:

sudo ./testpmd -l 2,42,3,43 -n 4 -- -i --portmask=0x1

sudo ./eventdev_pipeline --vdev event_sw0 -- -r1 -t1 -e4 -w FF00 -s4 -n0
-c32 -W1000 -D

Thank you.