* Help in using DPDK
@ 2024-08-19  9:41 Романов Евгений Александрович
From: Романов Евгений Александрович @ 2024-08-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello!
I became interested in your product and faced a number of problems:

  1.  I don't fully understand in the manual where exactly do I need to install DPDK - on the Host or VM? I plan to use this product to increase the data transfer rate between VMs within a single host in conjunction with SR-IOV.
  2.  If I install DPDK on a VM, then by what means can I hang the IP address on the interface?
  3.  If I install it on the Host, then PMD automatically takes VFS (created using SR-IOV technology) under PMD control, and in VM I throw them as a PCI device. Is that right?
  4.  how can I delete DPDK if I compiled using make? The yum remove command does not work in this case.

A little bit about the stand:
I have 2 servers with 48 cores and with Chelsio T62100-LP-CR network adapters. OC - CentOS 7.8

Thanks for the advice and help.

With respect,
Evgeny Romanov
mobile: +7 (963) 992-8036
The rock^r

* Re: Help in using DPDK
@ 2024-08-29 19:52 ` Dmitry Kozlyuk
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk @ 2024-08-29 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Романов
	Евгений
	Александрович
  Cc: users

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 10:25 AM Романов Евгений Александрович
<ERomanov@skala-r.ru> wrote:
> I don't fully understand in the manual where exactly do I need to install DPDK - on the Host or VM? I plan to use this product to increase the data transfer rate between VMs within a single host in conjunction with SR-IOV.
> If I install DPDK on a VM, then by what means can I hang the IP address on the interface?
> If I install it on the Host, then PMD automatically takes VFS (created using SR-IOV technology) under PMD control, and in VM I throw them as a PCI device. Is that right?

DPDK can be used both inside and outside a VM. For your problem,
install DPDK on the host.
If your hypervisor is QEMU, you probably need not SR-IOV but vhost:
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/sample_app_ug/vhost.html.
It is possible to accelerate VM-VM and VM-PHY traffic using SR-IOV,
but this requires switchdev support, which cxgbe PMD seems lacking.
In any case, VM gets a standard PCIe device, be it virtio-net (vhost
case) or a VF (SR-IOV case), which can be managed by the guest kernel
as usual.

> how can I delete DPDK if I compiled using make? The yum remove command does not work in this case.

Meson is the current build system, Makefiles were used until DPDK
20.11 (IIRC), which is End-of-Life.
Meson generates "uninstall" target for this purpose.
It is easier to install DPDK to a dedicated directory (meson configure
--prefix=/opt/dpdk) to uninstall by just deleting it.
Packaging is currently out of scope of DPDK, some distributions
provide DPDK packages.