* [dpdk-users] Reg: Performance degradation in DPDK-18.11
@ 2019-04-08 12:01 Gokilavani A
From: Gokilavani A @ 2019-04-08 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

 Hi,

We have written simple Traffic Generator using DPDK.

We used a DPDK version of 17.05.2 then 17.08.2.

When we want to move that code to latest LTS version 18.11,  performance
seems to be degraded interms of rate.

Even for 512B, got this rate reduction issue in transmission. Is it because
of any timing APIs changed in 18.11?

Tried with DPDK 17.11, got the same problem. When I gone through the
documents, not able to find any timer regarding API change or bug fixing.

Can any one help me in this regard?

Thanks

A.Gokilavani

* Re: [dpdk-users] Reg: Performance degradation in DPDK-18.11
@ 2019-04-09 13:16 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2019-04-09 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gokilavani A; +Cc: users

> On Apr 8, 2019, at 7:01 AM, Gokilavani A <gokilavanianbazhagan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have written simple Traffic Generator using DPDK.
>
> We used a DPDK version of 17.05.2 then 17.08.2.
>
> When we want to move that code to latest LTS version 18.11,  performance
> seems to be degraded interms of rate.
>
> Even for 512B, got this rate reduction issue in transmission. Is it because
> of any timing APIs changed in 18.11?
>
> Tried with DPDK 17.11, got the same problem. When I gone through the
> documents, not able to find any timer regarding API change or bug fixing.
>
> Can any one help me in this regard?

You may want to give more details, NICs used, setup of hardware, what is the host system used, how is the generator sending packets (fixed packets or modified on the fly, …)

What was the performance difference with the DPDK versions you tried?

Have you tried Pktgen, TRex or testpmd to see if they have the same performance problem?

> Thanks
>
> A.Gokilavani

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-users] Reg: Performance degradation in DPDK-18.11
@ 2019-04-09 16:28   ` Gokilavani A
From: Gokilavani A @ 2019-04-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Hi,

Sorry for missing that setup info.

Setup Details:
NIC - Intel 82599ES 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller(X520-DA2 adapter)
Host processor - i7-4790k processor
OS - CentOS 7.1

I am trying to send a fixed size traffic using my application.

With the same code on dpdk - 17.05.2 and dpdk- 17.08.2, I am able to get
the expected transmission rate of 9.623G for 512 bytes.

Simple run of the same code on dpdk 18.11 , gives the transmission rate of
9.6G (getting nearly 20 Mbps reduced rate). To trace back which version
cause this problem, I tried the same with the dpdk-18.02.2 and dpdk-17.11,
got the same lowest transmission rate.

Not only for 512B, for other framesizes too, observing this rate issue.

I thought it may due to any timing related API changes. I have gone through
the release notes for such timer regarding DPDK  library change.I am not
able to find any hint on this.

Kindly help me to get rid of this issue.

Thanks
A.Gokilavani

@ 2019-04-08 12:04 Gokilavani
From: Gokilavani @ 2019-04-08 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

We have written a simple Traffic Generation Application using DPDK.

We used a DPDK version of 17.05.2 then 17.08.2.

When we want to move to latest DPDK LTS version 18.11,  performance