* Dpdk test_pmd with pdump
@ 2023-03-01  6:25 RANJEETH NEDUNURI
From: RANJEETH NEDUNURI @ 2023-03-01  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dineshramesh46

Hi ,
I hope you are doing great, I have gone through your patches related to
dpdk,I am working on dpdk, while executing dpdk testpmd and pdump we are
getting errors.
We are using dpdk 22.07 version and virtual nic on top of physical nic in
Linux
We are following this link:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/dpdk-packet-capture-framework.html

Error: EAL: failed to parse device "EAL: failed to parse device
"vdev:net_pcap_rx_0" EAL: Failed to hotplug add device on primary"

And one more how to give pcap file input to testpmd.

Could you please answer this we very thankful to you.

Ranjeeth Nedunuri

Ranjeeth Nedunuri

* Re: Dpdk test_pmd with pdump
@ 2023-03-01 14:49 ` RANJEETH NEDUNURI
From: RANJEETH NEDUNURI @ 2023-03-01 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dineshramesh46

Could you please check this and reply me.

Ranjeeth Nedunuri

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023, 11:55 RANJEETH NEDUNURI, <ranjeethnedunuri9966@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi ,
> I hope you are doing great, I have gone through your patches related to
> dpdk,I am working on dpdk, while executing dpdk testpmd and pdump we are
> getting errors.
> We are using dpdk 22.07 version and virtual nic on top of physical nic in
> Linux
> We are following this link:
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/dpdk-packet-capture-framework.html
>

> Error: EAL: failed to parse device "EAL: failed to parse device
> "vdev:net_pcap_rx_0" EAL: Failed to hotplug add device on primary"
>
> And one more how to give pcap file input to testpmd.
>
> Could you please answer this we very thankful to you.
>

> Ranjeeth Nedunuri
>
> Ranjeeth Nedunuri

* Re: Dpdk test_pmd with pdump
@ 2023-03-06 16:52 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-03-06 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RANJEETH NEDUNURI; +Cc: users, dineshramesh46

On Wed, 1 Mar 2023 11:55:21 +0530
RANJEETH NEDUNURI <ranjeethnedunuri9966@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I hope you are doing great, I have gone through your patches related to
> dpdk,I am working on dpdk, while executing dpdk testpmd and pdump we are
> getting errors.
> We are using dpdk 22.07 version and virtual nic on top of physical nic in
> Linux

This is not a supported version, please use 22.11.

> We are following this link:
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/dpdk-packet-capture-framework.html

Intel article is out of date, it pre-dates meson build etc.

The current docs for pdump is on website:
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/tools/pdump.html

> Error: EAL: failed to parse device "EAL: failed to parse device
> "vdev:net_pcap_rx_0" EAL: Failed to hotplug add device on primary"
>
> And one more how to give pcap file input to testpmd.
>
> Could you please answer this we very thankful to you.

You may find that the newer DPDK dumpcap application is easier to work with.
It has less dependencies and more options.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/tools/dumpcap.html