* meson options - build vs target machine cpuflags question
@ 2022-03-10 14:46 Sanford, Robert
From: Sanford, Robert @ 2022-03-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello All,

We build a DPDK 21.05 app on Intel x86 machines with RDSEED in cpuflags, and may run it on machines *without* RDSEED.
This results in a fatal error ...
ERROR: This system does not support "RDSEED".
Please check that RTE_MACHINE is set correctly.
EAL: FATAL: unsupported cpu type.

I try adding -Dplatform=haswell when running meson, (because gcc man page indicates that haswell is last arch w/o RDSEED) but get the same result.
Until we resolve it, our workaround is changing the error-out in rte_cpu_is_supported() to just print a warning and continue.
We don't have direct access to automated build machines, we go through change request processes, and so we can't rapidly try too many things.

Is there a better meson option, such as machine=haswell, or something else that will work?

Thanks in advance,
Robert Sanford