From: "J.J. Martzki" <mars14850@gmail.com>
To: Dinesh Kumar <raidinesh@utexas.edu>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: Use case understanding for l3fwd
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 10:46:52 +0800	[thread overview]

> Is this process correct to assign IP  and then device to DPDK?
No, after binding the driver to vfio/uio, the IP configuration is no
longer available.
The IP is something belonging to an application, not a driver (DPDK).

> Is there any way to see ip and ethernet address after binding to DPDK?
MAC is available for the rte_eth_dev, there's some API like
rte_eth_macaddr_get() to get MAC
from a specific port. l3fwd should have some CLI commands for getting
MAC ethier, maybe
you can read it's documents.
IP is not available as I said before.

BTW, your topo is confusing. Are you running 2 l3fwd in 2 separate
VMs? It's not gonna work.
AFAK, l3fwd switches packets from ports which attached to it. You
can't use 2 separate l3fwd
to connect 2 VMs.

If you are tring to connect 2 VMs, the classic topo is something like:
|       VM1       |                          HOST
     |        VM2       |
app <- device -> qemu <- pmd -> l3fwd <- pmd -> qemu <- device -> app

J.J. Martzki,
Best wishes.

Dinesh Kumar <raidinesh@utexas.edu> 于2023年4月14日周五 01:32写道: