From: David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
To: Ashish Mishra <ashishm@mvista.com>
Cc: users <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Installation of latest DPDK on x86_64 machine
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:07:22 +0200

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Ashish Mishra <ashishm@mvista.com> wrote:

> Hi Members ,
>
> I am trying to get DPDK installed on x86_64 mahine  by following below
> steps
>          git clone https://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
>          cd dpdk/
>          meson -Dexamples=all build
>          cd build
>          ninja
>          ninja install
>
> a) Any input where should in find "igb_uio.ko"
>
> b) Even i tried modprobe igb_uio.ko , it didn't helped as i dont see
>    /usr/local/lib64/dpdk/drivers folder but i can see
> /usr/local/lib64/dpdk/pmds-21.3/librte_*
>
> c) Basically , i wanted to install latest DPDK on my laptop and run an
> testpmd
>    Is there any document where we can find the step's to build and run
> testpmd
>    for the latest version of DPDK
>
> I am new to DPDK , hence will be helpful if community can share some
> pointers

Please, prefer vfio-pci over igb_uio.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#vfio

If you don't have an IOMMU in your system (like you are simply testing
dpdk, or running dpdk in a virtual machine with no vIOMMU), you can
use the noiommu mode, but keep note that it is less secure.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#vfio-no-iommu-mode

--
David Marchand