* [dpdk-users] IGB UIO vs i40e PMD ?
@ 2021-03-05 15:00 David Aldrich
From: David Aldrich @ 2021-03-05 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi

Our DPDK application interfaces with an Intel X722 NIC. We use the IGB UIO
module.

We now need to interface to a different NIC (on a custom FPGA). I've been
asked to connect to it using IGB UIO but have been told we may need to use
i40e PMD instead.

I don't understand whether IGB UIO and i40e PMD are the same or different
layers.  Are they interchangeable or does one use them together?

I also note that dpdk_setup.sh offers to install IGB UIO, VFIO and KNI
modules but does not mention i40e PMD. Why is this?

Sorry for my ignorance. Any explanation would be appreciated.

BR
David

* Re: [dpdk-users] IGB UIO vs i40e PMD ?
@ 2021-03-06 13:30 曾懷恩
From: 曾懷恩 @ 2021-03-06 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david.aldrich.ntml, users

IGB UIO is based on Linux userspace io.

The UIO mechanism make device memory in kernel can be mapped to a driver in userspace and programmer can program features in this driver.

Therefore there are 2 parts in UIO mechanism, one is a kernel module to register device to UIO(e.g. igb_uio.ko), the other one is the userspace driver(e.g. i40e_pmd)

vfio is different to UIO, but it also provides userspace driver functions to make userspace can access PCI device