* Does DPDK provide RX timestamps?
       [not found] <CAJgPhro2CF2gzouZmz0seKDzNej540GzuA_UyCGpG_zZT2gCwA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2024-09-08 22:34 ` Dpdk Newbie
From: Dpdk Newbie @ 2024-09-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi. I am using Intel (i210) and AWS ENA network interface cards.

I would like to measure the following RX latencies:

1) NIC to DPDK packet ring buffer
2) DPDK packet ring buffer to application via rte_eth_rx_burst.

I don't mind measuring in nanoseconds or CPU cycles.

Unfortunately I cannot find any mention of hardware timestamps.

I found brief references to mbuf containing a timestamp in the dynamic
fields, but nothing definitive.

Could someone please clarify what the situation is?

* Re: Does DPDK provide RX timestamps?
@ 2024-09-08 23:07   ` Dmitry Kozlyuk
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk @ 2024-09-08 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dpdk Newbie; +Cc: users

> Hi. I am using Intel (i210) and AWS ENA network interface cards.
>
> I would like to measure the following RX latencies:
>
> 1) NIC to DPDK packet ring buffer
> 2) DPDK packet ring buffer to application via rte_eth_rx_burst.
>
> I don't mind measuring in nanoseconds or CPU cycles.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot find any mention of hardware timestamps.
>
> I found brief references to mbuf containing a timestamp in the dynamic
> fields, but nothing definitive.
>
> Could someone please clarify what the situation is?
>
> Thanks,

DPDK only provides API to access Rx timestamp if it's available.
Example: https://elixir.bootlin.com/dpdk/v24.07/source/app/test-pmd/util.c#L37

Rx timestamp availability depends on the PMD and HW.
Support matrix: https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/overview.html
It seems to be no support for i210 (igb?) or AWS ENA (ena).

* Re: Does DPDK provide RX timestamps?
@ 2024-09-08 23:21     ` Dpdk Newbie
From: Dpdk Newbie @ 2024-09-08 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Kozlyuk; +Cc: users

Thank you for the clarification regarding hardware/NIC timestamp on
i210 and ENA.

Does DPDK take a timestamp to facilitate my second measurement, from
the packet ring buffer to my application?