From: Pavel Vajarov <freakpv@gmail.com>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Peformance troubleshouting of TCP/IP stack over DPDK.
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 13:47:33 +0300	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 5:55 PM Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 2020 08:14:20 +0300
> Pavel Vajarov <freakpv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We are trying to compare the performance of DPDK+FreeBSD networking stack
> > vs standard Linux kernel and we have problems finding out why the former
> is
> > slower. The details are below.
> >
> > There is a project called F-Stack <https://github.com/F-Stack/f-stack>.
> > It glues the networking stack from
> > FreeBSD 11.01 over DPDK. We made a setup to test the performance of
> > transparent
> > TCP proxy based on F-Stack and another one running on Standard Linux
> > kernel.
> > We did the tests on KVM with 2 cores (Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6139 CPU @
> > 2.30GHz)
> > and 32GB RAM. 10Gbs NIC was attached in passthrough mode.
> > The application level code, the one which handles epoll notifications and
> > memcpy data between the sockets, of the both proxy applications is 100%
> the
> > same. Both proxy applications are single threaded and in all tests we
> > pinned the applications on core 1. The interrupts from the network card
> > were pinned to the same core 1 for the test with the standard Linux
> > application.
> >
> > Here are the test results:
> > 1. The Linux based proxy was able to handle about 1.7-1.8 Gbps before it
> > started to throttle the traffic. No visible CPU usage was observed on
> core
> > 0 during the tests, only core 1, where the application and the IRQs were
> > pinned, took the load.
> > 2. The DPDK+FreeBSD proxy was able to thandle 700-800 Mbps before it
> > started to throttle the traffic. No visible CPU usage was observed on
> core
> > 0 during the tests only core 1, where the application was pinned, took
> the
> > load. In some of the latter tests I did some changes to the number of
> read
> > packets in one call from the network card and the number of handled
> events
> > in one call to epoll. With these changes I was able to increase the
> > throughput
> > to 900-1000 Mbps but couldn't increase it more.
> > 3. We did another test with the DPDK+FreeBSD proxy just to give us some
> > more info about the problem. We disabled the TCP proxy functionality and
> > let the packets be simply ip forwarded by the FreeBSD stack. In this test
> > we reached up to 5Gbps without being able to throttle the traffic. We
> just
> > don't have more traffic to redirect there at the moment. So the bottlneck
> > seem to be either in the upper level of the network stack or in the
> > application
> > code.
> >
> > There is a huawei switch which redirects the traffic to this server. It
> > regularly
> [...]

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

We did the tests on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-96-generic x86_64).
The NIC was given to the guest using SR-IOV.
The TCP segmentation offload was enabled for both tests (standard Linux and
DPDK+FreeBSD).
The congestion control algorithm for both tests was 'cubic'.

What do you mean by 'software queue discipline'?

Regards,
Pavel.