Il giorno ven 8 apr 2022 alle ore 15:26 Dmitry Kozlyuk < dmitry.kozliuk@gmail.com> ha scritto: > 2022-04-08 14:31 (UTC+0200), Antonio Di Bacco: > > I know that it is possible to share memory between a primary and > secondary > > process using rte_memzone_reserve_aligned to allocate memory in primary > > that is "seen" also by the secondary. If we have two primary processes > > (started with different file-prefix) the same approach is not feasible. I > > wonder how to share a chunk of memory hosted on a hugepage between two > > primaries. > > > > Regards. > > Hi Antonio, > > Correction: all hugepages allocated by DPDK are shared > between primary and secondary processes, not only memzones. > > I assume we're talking about processes within one host, > because your previous similar question was about sharing memory between > hosts > (as we have discussed offline), which is out of scope for DPDK. > > As for the question directly, you need to map the same part of the same > file > in the second primary as the hugepage is mapped from in the first primary. > I don't recommend to work with file paths, because their management > is not straightforward (--single-file-segments, for one) and is > undocumented. > > There is a way to share DPDK memory segment file descriptors. > Although public, this DPDK API is dangerous in the sense that you must > clearly understand what you're doing and how DPDK works. > Hence the question: what is the task you need this sharing for? > Maybe there is a simpler way. > > 1. In the first primary: > > mz = rte_memzone_reserve() > ms = rte_mem_virt2memseg(mz->addr) > fd = rte_memseg_get_fd(ms) > offset = rte_memseg_get_fd_offset(ms) > > 2. Use Unix domain sockets with SCM_RIGHTS > to send "fd" and "offset" to the second primary. > > 3. In the second primary, after receiving "fd" and "offset": > > flags = MAP_SHARED | MAP_HUGE | (30 << MAP_HUGE_SHIFT) > addr = mmap(fd, offset, flags) > > Note that "mz" may consist of multiple "ms" depending on the sizes > of the zone and hugepages, and on the zone alignment. > Also "addr" may (and probably will) differ from "mz->addr". > It is possible to pass "mz->addr" and try to force it, > like DPDK does for primary/secondary. > Thank you Dmitry, it is really incredible how deep your knowledge is. I will give it a try.