* [dpdk-users] No packet generated by dpdk pktgen in VM
@ 2016-03-12 17:30 Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-03-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Dear all,

I have an issue in DPDK pkt-gen.

I use DPDK pkt-gen in KVM VM with two virtio NIC.
The VM has one core only and huge pages num is 1024

The command is "sudo app/build/pktgen -c 0x1 -n 3 --proc-type auto
--socket-mem 128 -- -P -m "0.0,0.1" -f test/set_seq.pkt"

When I use start 0. No packet is generated. Could you please help me on
this issue? Thanks

Royce Niu

* Re: [dpdk-users] No packet generated by dpdk pktgen in VM
@ 2016-03-13  3:49 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2016-03-13  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Royce Niu, users

>Dear all,
>
>I have an issue in DPDK pkt-gen.
>
>I use DPDK pkt-gen in KVM VM with two virtio NIC.
>The VM has one core only and huge pages num is 1024
>
>The command is "sudo app/build/pktgen -c 0x1 -n 3 --proc-type auto
>--socket-mem 128 -- -P -m "0.0,0.1" -f test/set_seq.pkt"

Pktgen requires at least two cores or lcores to as the first lcore is consumed by the codline, display output and timers. Because the first core is busy handling the non-port related tasks it can not do RX/TX work.

>When I use start 0. No packet is generated. Could you please help me on
>this issue? Thanks
>

>--
>Regards,
>
>Royce Niu

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-users] No packet generated by dpdk pktgen in VM
@ 2016-03-13  5:44   ` Royce Niu
From: Royce Niu @ 2016-03-13  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: Royce Niu, users

Thanks for your explanation. I see now.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles@intel.com>
wrote:

> >Dear all,
> >
> >I have an issue in DPDK pkt-gen.
> >
> >I use DPDK pkt-gen in KVM VM with two virtio NIC.
> >The VM has one core only and huge pages num is 1024
> >
> >The command is "sudo app/build/pktgen -c 0x1 -n 3 --proc-type auto
> >--socket-mem 128 -- -P -m "0.0,0.1" -f test/set_seq.pkt"
>
> Pktgen requires at least two cores or lcores to as the first lcore is
> consumed by the codline, display output and timers. Because the first core
> is busy handling the non-port related tasks it can not do RX/TX work.
>

> >When I use start 0. No packet is generated. Could you please help me on
> >this issue? Thanks
> >

> >--
> >Regards,
> >
> >Royce Niu