From: Ashish Mishra <ashishm@mvista.com>
To: users <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] Basic doubt on testpmd app working on x86_64 linux host
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 18:03:24 +0530

Hi Members ,

I am trying to learn DPDK on my laptop for which I installed
dpdk-stable-19.11.8  +
testpmd on x86_64 linux host
( will move to latest DPDK once i have some idea )

When I tried testpmd , I had below gaps in my understanding / doubts .
If member's can please provide some pointer on below point :

1) NUMA socket -1
   I am trying to understand DPDK using testpmd.
   When i execute testpmd , i am getting the below message .
   Are these normal message or something is wrong in my setup
        EAL: PCI device 0000:00:1f.6 on NUMA socket -1
        EAL:   Invalid NUMA socket, default to 0

2) What is the memory-channels parameter  usage ,which is being passed to
testpmd.

3) Do we have any logical loopback mode in DPDK?
   So that we can try tx & rx logically without being dependent on hardware
ports

4) How to know if the ethernet should be binded to IGB-UIO or VFIO module
   As of now , i try both & continue with which doesn't throw errors.

I am reading the Documentation but felt short for these aspects
& hence thought to check with the community for any pointers / guidance.

Apologies if these are vary basic in nature as i am just starting with DPDK
environment

Thanks ,
Ashish