* Performance issues while using DPDK with azure accelerated networking
@ 2022-12-23  6:37 piyush gupta
From: piyush gupta @ 2022-12-23  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I am running a *D8sV3* type instance on azure with *RHEL7.9* & accelerated
networking enabled on one of the interface.

On this am running my DPDK app which is binding to the VF exposed & its
corresponding netvsc interface via *vdev_netvsc driver* as suggested in
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/setup-dpdk
<https://learn.microsoft.com/answers/storage/attachments/267669-dpdk-cpus-perf.png>

DPDK doc : vdev_netvsc.html
<https://learn.microsoft.com/answers/storage/attachments/267669-dpdk-cpus-perf.png>

The expected behaviour is that all traffic should flow through the physical
interface (VF) and not from synthetic device (eth2 in my case).
But I can see all traffic coming to eth2 & dtap0 devices. This is causing
my dpdk cpus to handle RX interrupts for these packets causing major
performance issues & jitters. I am not understanding why all these packets
are being mirrored to slow path.

*Note: All my traffic is UDP.*

[image: dpdk_cpus_perf.png]

[image: azure_pkts_on_eth2.png]

I would like to know if there is any setting I am missing here. This is
causing a lot of problems for me to qualify on Azure cloud with expected
throughput.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Piyush Gupta