* [dpdk-users] Installation of latest DPDK on x86_64 machine
@ 2021-07-06 12:26 Ashish Mishra
From: Ashish Mishra @ 2021-07-06 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi Members ,

I am trying to get DPDK installed on x86_64 mahine  by following below
steps
         git clone https://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
         cd dpdk/
         meson -Dexamples=all build
         cd build
         ninja
         ninja install

a) Any input where should in find "igb_uio.ko"

b) Even i tried modprobe igb_uio.ko , it didn't helped as i dont see
   /usr/local/lib64/dpdk/drivers folder but i can see
/usr/local/lib64/dpdk/pmds-21.3/librte_*

c) Basically , i wanted to install latest DPDK on my laptop and run an
testpmd
   Is there any document where we can find the step's to build and run
testpmd
   for the latest version of DPDK

I am new to DPDK , hence will be helpful if community can share some
pointers

Thanks ,
Ashish

* Re: [dpdk-users] Installation of latest DPDK on x86_64 machine
@ 2021-07-06 12:57 ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2021-07-06 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashish Mishra, users

Hi Ashish,

Kmods are no longer part of the dpdk git tree,
Check this git for the kmods
http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-kmods/

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

@ 2021-07-06 13:01   ` Ashish Mishra
From: Ashish Mishra @ 2021-07-06 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh; +Cc: users

Hi Raslan ,

Thanks for the pointer , I will look at this.

Can I assume that the build is proper , if the helloworld application runs
fine.
or any other application is used by DPDK community to ensure sanity of
build .

@ 2021-07-06 13:07 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-07-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashish Mishra; +Cc: users

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:26 PM Ashish Mishra <ashishm@mvista.com> wrote:

> Hi Members ,
>
> I am trying to get DPDK installed on x86_64 mahine  by following below
> steps
>          git clone https://dpdk.org/git/dpdk
>          cd dpdk/
>          meson -Dexamples=all build
>          cd build
>          ninja
>          ninja install
>
> a) Any input where should in find "igb_uio.ko"
>
> b) Even i tried modprobe igb_uio.ko , it didn't helped as i dont see
>    /usr/local/lib64/dpdk/drivers folder but i can see
> /usr/local/lib64/dpdk/pmds-21.3/librte_*
>
> c) Basically , i wanted to install latest DPDK on my laptop and run an
> testpmd
>    Is there any document where we can find the step's to build and run
> testpmd
>    for the latest version of DPDK
>
> I am new to DPDK , hence will be helpful if community can share some
> pointers

Please, prefer vfio-pci over igb_uio.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#vfio

If you don't have an IOMMU in your system (like you are simply testing
dpdk, or running dpdk in a virtual machine with no vIOMMU), you can
use the noiommu mode, but keep note that it is less secure.
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html#vfio-no-iommu-mode

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-users] Installation of latest DPDK on x86_64 machine
@ 2021-07-06 13:22     ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2021-07-06 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashish Mishra; +Cc: users

I guess you can have a look at this guide:
https://core.dpdk.org/doc/quick-start/
which should  help you on doing the sanity check which you are looking for.

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

@ 2021-07-07 12:35       ` Ashish Mishra
From: Ashish Mishra @ 2021-07-07 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raslan Darawsheh; +Cc: users

Thanks David & Raslan  ,
Will look at these suggestions.
Yesterday I was able to proceed somewhat with dpdk-stable-19.11.8
Will try the latest as suggested .

Thanks a lot .
Ashish