From: Chi Lap Seto <ChiLap.Seto@syniverse.com>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] Problem running "kni" on RHEL-8 over vmware
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 02:21:31 +0000	[thread overview]

I can successfully run the "kni" example program in DPDK (version 20.08) on RHEL 8 over KVM (with the PMD 'virtio').
Then I changed to run this "kni" on RHEL 8 over vmware (with the PMD 'vmxnet3').

If I started this "kni" to use 2 ports:

    ./kni -c 0x1f -n 4 -- -P -p 0x3 --config="(0,1,2),(1,3,4)"

It hanged (the console is also frozen) when initializing the 2nd port (initializing the 1st port is OK).

If it is started to use 1 port only:

./kni -c 0x07 -n 4 -- -P -p 0x1 --config="(0,1,2)"

It could start successfully but also hanged when I killed this program (using kill -9). Actually, I am not sure the VM hanged or not because all network interfaces were gone when the program "hanged" -- I was forced to log out since I connected to the VM by a SSH session.

The "kni" program runs perfectly when on RHEL 8 over KVM so no need to question about the environment settings and the above command line arguments. The only difference, I think, is the PMD. It is suspected that there may be some problems in the PMD 'vmxnet3'.

Anyone can successfully run DPDK (20.08) KNI application on RHEL 8 over vmware ?

Chi Lap Seto
T +852 37494231
M +852 98620316
ChiLap.Seto@syniverse.com<mailto:ChiLap.Seto@syniverse.com>

syniverse(r)
The world's most connected company(tm)
Website<http://www.syniverse.com/> / Twitter<http://twitter.com/Syniverse> / LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/syniverse>

This message and its contents (including any accompanying documents) are confidential and authorized solely for the intended addressee(s). If you have erroneously received this message, please immediately and permanently delete all instances and notify the sender. Also, if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on this message or its contents is strictly prohibited. The company is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by a virus or for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message This message and its contents (including any accompanying documents) are confidential and authorized solely for the intended addressee(s). If you have erroneously received this message, please immediately and permanently delete all instances and notify the sender. Also, if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on this message or its contents is strictly prohibited. The company is not responsible for any loss or damage caused by a virus or for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message