From: "Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren@intel.com>
To: Suchetha p <suchetha2005@gmail.com>, "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] IPV4 and VLAN RX packets from NIC donot have the mbuf offload flag set with DPDK 18.08 version
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 16:43:03 +0000	[thread overview]

Do you expect the issue described below is a performance issue from the above code?

It seems quite "branchy", meaning branch-misses might have a high
performance impact if your incoming traffic is not predictable.

From a code point of view, the following achieves the same effect, but without
any branching on the datapath;

m->ol_flags |= (ETHER_TYPE_VLAN == eth_type) << PKT_RX_VLAN_PKT_SHIFT;

Notice that the comparison (ETHER_TYPE_VLAN == eth_type) will result in a 1 or 0,
and using |= with a 0 value won't change the m->ol_flags bit contents.

If the performance impact of branch-mispredicts is the root cause for your
issue, try the above code and see does it help/solve.

> If these offload flags were not set in the mbuf the packet would get
> dropped and will not be forwarded to the Tap device.
>
> But the offload flag setting per NIC received packet is causing some
> performance issue and delay in data transfer.
>
> TCP segment loss and retransmissions are observed and TX Tap drops are
> observed.
>
> These changes with respect to offload flag setting for RX VLAN and IPV4
> packet was not required with old DPDK and RHEL6 and packets were getting
> forwarded from NIC to Tap device and vice versa without any issue.
>
> So is anything changed with respect to DPDK and RHEL 7 for ingress packets ?

I'll let others reply here - I don't know, sorry.

<snip>

Hope that helps, -Harry