* [dpdk-users] Sharing Data structure between logical cores in DPDK- regarding
@ 2019-12-05 10:16 Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad
From: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad @ 2019-12-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev

Hi All,
          I have a small doubt, can we share a data structure between
multiple logical cores in DPDK without locking? I have tested it by sharing
a small structure with two variable and incrementing them in all logical
cores. It ran smooth I didn't get any issue. But I doubt if we can run it
for long time with some huge data structure having many elements getting
accessed by multiple logical cores.
     Can anyone please clarify this.

Thanks and regards,
Hemasai.

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Sharing Data structure between logical cores in DPDK- regarding
@ 2019-12-05 10:42 ` Tom Barbette
From: Tom Barbette @ 2019-12-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad, users, dev

It depends on the datastructure.

If you use rte_hash, with the thread safety flags, it's safe.

In any case having a lot of cores accessing the same DS will lead to bad performance. You should try to have per-core data structures whenever possible.

Tom

@ 2019-12-05 10:54   ` Van Haaren, Harry
From: Van Haaren, Harry @ 2019-12-05 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
> If you use rte_hash, with the thread safety flags, it's safe.
>
> In any case having a lot of cores accessing the same DS will lead to bad
> performance. You should try to have per-core data structures whenever
> possible.
>
> Tom

Hi!

>           I have a small doubt, can we share a data structure between
> multiple logical cores in DPDK without locking?

Note that "locking" and "atomic instructions" are not the same. So locking a mutex is only one way of ensuring multiple cores have a coherent view on the datastructure.

The other method of doing "lock free" but multi-core safe data-structures is by using Atomic instructions, which ensure that results are observed correctly on all cores accessing that data-structure. A good example is the Multi-producer or Multi-consumer versions of the DPDK rte_ring ringbuffer.

Regards, -Harry

@ 2019-12-06 16:30     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-12-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Haaren, Harry; +Cc: Tom Barbette, Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad, users, dev

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 10:54:59 +0000
"Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren@intel.com> wrote:

>          I have a small doubt, can we share a data structure between
> > multiple logical cores in DPDK without locking?

Sure, learn to use RCU!!

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Sharing Data structure between logical cores in DPDK- regarding
@ 2019-12-06 16:51       ` Van Haaren, Harry
From: Van Haaren, Harry @ 2019-12-06 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-12-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Haaren, Harry; +Cc: Tom Barbette, Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad, users, dev

On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:51:40 +0000
"Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren@intel.com> wrote:

Harry, I just use bottom posting as is commonly done in open source mailing lists.
So if your comments are mixed in with earlier text it will get confusing

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Sharing Data structure between logical cores in DPDK- regarding
@ 2019-12-10  5:56   ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2019-12-10  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Barbette, Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad, users, dev; +Cc: nd, nd

<snip>

> It depends on the datastructure.
>
> If you use rte_hash, with the thread safety flags, it's safe.
>
> In any case having a lot of cores accessing the same DS will lead to bad
> performance. You should try to have per-core data structures whenever
> possible.
Even better if you can create a lock free data structure and combine it with RCU. You can look at lock-free version of rte_hash implementation. There was a presentation done on this topic in the previous DPDK summit[1].

[1] https://dpdkuserspace2018.sched.com/event/G44w/lock-free-read-write-concurrency-in-rtehash