From: Fabio Fernandes <boicotinho@proton.me>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: RSS for ENA
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 22:33:29 +0000	[thread overview]

I'm a bit puzzled why DPDK is reporting RSS to be not available on my ENA port (at AWS) when I'm expecting it to be.

My setup is:

> c7a.4xlarge
> [ENA_COM: ena_com_validate_version]ENA device version: 0.10
> [ENA_COM: ena_com_validate_version]ENA controller version: 0.0.1 implementation version 1
> 16-cores (hyper-threading disabled),
> 4 ENA interfaces/network adapters, but only one (with public IP) is bound to igb_uio
> DPDK 24.07
> 6.5.0-1020-aws,
> Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS,

The device reports that 8 queues are available, but rte_eth_dev_info::rx_offload_capa does not have RTE_ETH_RX_OFFLOAD_RSS_HASH set after calling rte_eth_dev_info_get().

The flag value seems to be coming from here,
https://github.com/DPDK/dpdk/blob/b3485f4293997d35b6daecc3437bb0c183a51fb3/drivers/net/ena/ena_ethdev.c#L2402
Where the offload mask is:

> (ena_com_dev_get_features_ctx*) get_feat_ctx->offload
> tx = 3
> rx_supported = 7
> rx_enabled = 0

Isn't RSS supposed to be available on this ENA setup?

If not, how am I supposed to distribute inbound packets across those 8 receive queues/CPUs?

Some notes, log:

> at eth_ena_dev_init(), ena_use_large_llq_hdr() returned true
> ena_get_metrics_entries(): 0x6 customer metrics are supported
> ena_use_large_llq_hdr(): Recommended device entry size policy 4
> eth_ena_dev_init(): LLQ entry size 256B
> eth_ena_dev_init(): Placement policy: Low latency

Any advice?

Thanks,Fabio