From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Failed to create flow rule using E810 while setting priority 1
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 07:53:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

For some reason this rule cannot be created (DPDK 21.11, Intel E810-2CQDA2):

.
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress priority 1 pattern eth type spec 0x8000
type mask 0x8000 / end actions drop / end
ice_flow_create(): Failed to create flow
port_flow_complain(): Caught PMD error type 2 (flow rule (handle)):
switch filter create flow fail: Invalid argument

.

But, this one can:

.
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress priority 0 pattern eth type spec 0x8000
type mask 0x8000 / end actions drop / end
Flow rule #1 created
.

Apparently it's like those type of rules are not valid while using
priority 1, but then if I change the mask to 0xF000 the rule is created
regardless of the priority:

.
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress priority 1 pattern eth type spec 0x8000
type mask 0xF000 / end actions drop / end
Flow rule #1 created
.

Is that a black-magic-rule or this is some malfunction in the ICE driver?

This issue is related to my last two questions for the community*, in
fact I was able to create a rule set to drop all the packets, like this:

.
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type spec 0x0000 type mask
0x8000 / end actions drop / end
Flow rule #0 created
testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type spec 0x8000 type mask
0x8000 / end actions drop / end
Flow rule #1 created
.

And now I wanted to use the priority mechanism to configure those rules
with a lower priority, and then have a bunch of higher priority rules to
collect (not drop) the packets I'm interested in.

Thanks

* See emails with subject: "rte flow priority not working", "flow rule
to drop all the packets".

--
BR, Filip
+48 666 369 823