From: David Christensen <drc@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: Vipul Ujawane <vipul999ujawane@gmail.com>, users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Poor performance when using OVS with DPDK
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 11:03:41 -0700	[thread overview]

On 6/24/20 4:03 AM, Vipul Ujawane wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am observing a very low performance when running OVS-DPDK when compared
> to OVS running with the Kernel Datapath.
> I have OvS version 2.13.90 compiled from source with the latest stable DPDK
> v19.11.3 on a stable Debian system running kernel 4.19.0-9-amd64 (real
> version:4.19.118).
>
> I have tried to use the latest released OvS as well (2.12) with the same
> LTS DPDK. As a last resort, I have tried an older kernel, whether it has
> any problem (4.19.0-8-amd64 (real version:4.19.98)).
>
> I have not been able to troubleshoot the problem, and kindly request your
> help regarding the same.
>
> HW configuration
> ================
> We have to two totally identical servers (Debian stable, Intel(R) Xeon(R)
> Gold 6230 CPU, 96G Mem), each runs KVM virtual machine. On the hypervisor
> layer, we have OvS for traffic routing. The servers are connected directly
> via a Mellanox ConnectX-5 (1x100G).
> OVS Forwarding tables are configured for simple port-forwarding only to
> avoid any packet processing-related issue.
>
> Problem
> =======
> When both servers are running OVS-Kernel at the hypervisor layer and VMs
> are connected to it via libvirt and virtio interfaces, the
> VM->Server1->Server2->VM throughput is around 16-18Gbps.
> However, when using OVS-DPDK with the same setting, the throughput drops
> down to 4-6Gbps.

You don't mention the traffic profile.  I assume 64 byte frames but best
to be explicit.

> SW/driver configurations:
> ==================
> DPDK
> ----
> In config common_base, besides the defaults, I have enabled the following
> extra drivers/features to be compiled/enabled.
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX5_PMD=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VHOST=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_VHOST_NUMA=y
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_PMD_VHOST=y
> CONFIG_RTE_VIRTIO_USER=n
> CONFIG_RTE_EAL_VFIO=y
>

> OVS
> ---
> $ovs-vswitchd --version
> ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 2.13.90
>
> $sudo ovs-vsctl get Open_vSwitch . dpdk_initialized
> true
>
> $sudo ovs-vsctl get Open_vSwitch . dpdk_version
> "DPDK 19.11.3"
>
> OS settings
> -----------
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release: 10
> Codename: buster
>

> $ cat /proc/cmdline
> BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.19.0-9-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/Volume0-debian--stable
> ro default_hugepagesz=1G hugepagesz=1G hugepages=16 intel_iommu=on iommu=pt
> quiet

Why don't you reserve any CPUs for OVS/DPDK or VM usage?  All published
performance white papers recommend settings for CPU isolation like this
Mellanox DPDK performance report:

https://fast.dpdk.org/doc/perf/DPDK_19_08_Mellanox_NIC_performance_report.pdf

For their test system:

isolcpus=24-47 intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=0
intel_pstate=disable nohz_full=24-47
rcu_nocbs=24-47 rcu_nocb_poll default_hugepagesz=1G hugepagesz=1G
hugepages=64 audit=0
nosoftlockup

Using the tuned service (CPU partitioning profile) make this process easier:

https://tuned-project.org/

> ./usertools/dpdk-devbind.py --status
> Network devices using kernel driver
> ===================================
> 0000:b3:00.0 'MT27800 Family [ConnectX-5] 1017' if=ens2 drv=mlx5_core
> unused=igb_uio,vfio-pci
>
> Due to the way how Mellanox cards and their driver work, I have not bond
> igb_uio to the interface, however, uio, igb_uio and vfio-pci kernel modules
> are loaded.
>

> Relevant part of the VM-config for Qemu/KVM
>    <cputune>
>      <shares>4096</shares>
>      <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
>      <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>

Where did you get these CPU mapping values?  x86 systems typically map
even-numbered CPUs to one NUMA node and odd-numbered CPUs to a different
NUMA node.  You generally want to select CPUs from the same NUMA node as
the mlx5 NIC you're using for DPDK.

You should have at least 4 CPUs in the VM, selected according to the
NUMA topology of the system.

Take a look at this bash script written for Red Hat:

https://github.com/ctrautma/RHEL_NIC_QUALIFICATION/blob/ansible/ansible/get_cpulist.sh

It gives you a good starting reference which CPUs to select for the
OVS/DPDK and VM configurations on your particular system.  Also review
the Ansible script pvp_ovsdpdk.yml, it provides a lot of other useful
steps you might be able to apply to your Debian OS.

>      <emulatorpin cpuset='4-5'/>
>    </cputune>
>    <cpu mode='host-model' check='partial'>
>      <model fallback='allow'/>
>      <topology sockets='2' cores='1' threads='1'/>
>      <numa>
>        <cell id='0' cpus='0-1' memory='4194304' unit='KiB'
> memAccess='shared'/>
>      </numa>
>    </cpu>
>      <interface type='vhostuser'>
>        <mac address='00:00:00:00:00:aa'/>
>        <source type='unix' path='/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/vhostuser'
> mo$
>        <model type='virtio'/>
>        <driver queues='2'>
>          <host mrg_rxbuf='on'/>

Is there a requirement for mergeable RX buffers?  Some PMDs like mlx5
can take advantage of SSE instructions when this is disabled, yielding
better performance.

>        </driver>
>        <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x07' slot='0x00'
> function='0x0'$
>      </interface>

I don't see hugepage usage in the libvirt XML.  Something similar to:

   <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
   <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
   <memoryBacking>
     <hugepages>
       <page size='1048576' unit='KiB' nodeset='0'/>
     </hugepages>
   </memoryBacking>

> OVS Start Config
> ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:dpdk-init=true
> ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:dpdk-socket-mem="4096,0"
> ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:dpdk-lcore-mask=0xff
> ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:pmd-cpu-mask=0e

These two masks shouldn't overlap:
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2017/06/28/ovs-dpdk-parameters-dealing-with-multi-numa/