From: Jared Brown <cpu-dpdk@mail.com>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK CPU selection criteria?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:22:11 +0200	[thread overview]

> Intentionally, in fact any reference to any one CPU vendor should be removed from website and documentaton.
  I get where this is coming from, but all the same it is not very useful to the end user, given that the title of the document is "7. How to get best performance with NICs on Intel platforms". One would expect some accurate and actionable advice on how to get the best performance.

> Also any performance is application dependent. If you have an application that
> is very well tuned then some of this matters, for other applications which have
> other issues (syscalls, locks, huge cache footprint) none of this matters.
  Obviously performance is application dependent, but all things being equal one would with good reason expect the underlying hardware to affect the performance. If it does not, why are magnitudes of difference being reported on per core Mpps performance?

  What I am trying to find out is, which factors *do* matter.

  Is there really no data or experience based knowledge about hardware forwarding performance out there, or is everybody supposed to find out things by trial and error?

- Jared