DPDK website maintenance
* [dpdk-web] SPP documentation update on dpdk.org
@ 2018-12-10 11:26 Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-12-10 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, dpdk-web; +Cc: dpdk-spp, Yasufumi Ogawa

Hi Thomas,

Yasufumi was asking how to update SPP documentation on dpdk.or
(https://doc.dpdk.org/spp/).

Is there something triggered automatically when a document patch applied? Or is
it needs to be done manually? How can we manage this doc update?

Thanks,
feruh

* Re: [dpdk-web] SPP documentation update on dpdk.org
@ 2018-12-10 16:52 ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-12-10 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit, Thomas Monjalon, dpdk-web; +Cc: dpdk-spp

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Yasufumi was asking how to update SPP documentation on dpdk.or
> (https://doc.dpdk.org/spp/).
>
> Is there something triggered automatically when a document patch applied? Or is
> it needs to be done manually? How can we manage this doc update?
Hi Ferruh, Thomas,

Thanks Ferruh for your support! I aske Thomas for documentation and he kindly told me how it is updated with his script. It
might be my fault because of some of compilation errors of documentation.

I have tried to fix the errors and push to it with new version tag.

Thanks,
Yasufumi

@ 2018-12-11  6:42   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-12-11  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

Hi,

10/12/2018 17:52, Yasufumi Ogawa:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > Yasufumi was asking how to update SPP documentation on dpdk.or
> > (https://doc.dpdk.org/spp/).
> >
> > Is there something triggered automatically when a document patch applied? Or is
> > it needs to be done manually? How can we manage this doc update?
> Hi Ferruh, Thomas,
>
> Thanks Ferruh for your support! I aske Thomas for documentation and he kindly told me how it is updated with his script. It
> might be my fault because of some of compilation errors of documentation.
>
> I have tried to fix the errors and push to it with new version tag.

First issue I see is the error number:
in v18.08 it is defined as VERSION := 18.05.1

Second issue:
	WARNING: The config value `version' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
	WARNING: The config value `release' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.

There is a third issue with the output of the make command:
	make: Entering directory '...'
	18.08
	make: Leaving directory '...'

Last but not the least, the doc will be generated only when you push an annotated tag:
	git tag -am spp-18.08 v18.08

I fixed all above 3 issues, sent the patch, and updated the doc on dpdk.org.

* Re: [dpdk-web] SPP documentation update on dpdk.org
@ 2018-12-12  6:22     ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-12-12  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

> Hi,
>
> 10/12/2018 17:52, Yasufumi Ogawa:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> Yasufumi was asking how to update SPP documentation on dpdk.or
>>> (https://doc.dpdk.org/spp/).
>>>
>>> Is there something triggered automatically when a document patch applied? Or is
>>> it needs to be done manually? How can we manage this doc update?
>> Hi Ferruh, Thomas,
>>
>> Thanks Ferruh for your support! I aske Thomas for documentation and he kindly told me how it is updated with his script. It
>> might be my fault because of some of compilation errors of documentation.
>>
>> I have tried to fix the errors and push to it with new version tag.
Thomas,

Thank you so much for fixing my problems!

> First issue I see is the error number:
> in v18.08 it is defined as VERSION := 18.05.1
>
> Second issue:
> 	WARNING: The config value `version' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
> 	WARNING: The config value `release' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
>
> There is a third issue with the output of the make command:
> 	make: Entering directory '...'
> 	18.08
> 	make: Leaving directory '...'
I was curious `make showversion` because make command told me that `-r` is illegal even if giving options same as DPDK and no
warnings for compiling DPDK's documentation.

By the way, do you use python3 for sphinx-build? I am using python2 and there are no warnings in the second issue while docs
compilation. If so, I should update to python3 to be the same environment as yours.

> Last but not the least, the doc will be generated only when you push an annotated tag:
> 	git tag -am spp-18.08 v18.08
I understand pushing tag is also incorrect. I simply added the tag and pushed.
   $ git tag v18.08
   $ git push origin v18.08

Thanks,
Yasufumi

@ 2018-12-12 10:17       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-12-12 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

12/12/2018 07:22, Yasufumi Ogawa:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 10/12/2018 17:52, Yasufumi Ogawa:

> >> Hi Ferruh, Thomas,
> >>
> >> Thanks Ferruh for your support! I aske Thomas for documentation and he kindly told me how it is updated with his script. It
> >> might be my fault because of some of compilation errors of documentation.
> >>
> >> I have tried to fix the errors and push to it with new version tag.
> Thomas,
>
> Thank you so much for fixing my problems!
> >
> > First issue I see is the error number:
> > in v18.08 it is defined as VERSION := 18.05.1
> >
> > Second issue:
> > 	WARNING: The config value `version' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
> > 	WARNING: The config value `release' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
> >
> > There is a third issue with the output of the make command:
> > 	make: Entering directory '...'
> > 	18.08
> > 	make: Leaving directory '...'
> I was curious `make showversion` because make command told me that `-r` is illegal even if giving options same as DPDK and no
> warnings for compiling DPDK's documentation.
>
> By the way, do you use python3 for sphinx-build? I am using python2 and there are no warnings in the second issue while docs
> compilation. If so, I should update to python3 to be the same environment as yours.

I use python3 but the server dpdk.org uses python2.

> > Last but not the least, the doc will be generated only when you push an annotated tag:
> > 	git tag -am spp-18.08 v18.08
> I understand pushing tag is also incorrect. I simply added the tag and pushed.
>    $ git tag v18.08
>    $ git push origin v18.08

This does not trigger compilation of the doc.
You must use *annotated* tags.

@ 2018-12-12 19:18         ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-12-12 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 10/12/2018 17:52, Yasufumi Ogawa:

>> Thomas,
>>
>> Thank you so much for fixing my problems!
>>>
>>> First issue I see is the error number:
>>> in v18.08 it is defined as VERSION := 18.05.1
>>>
>>> Second issue:
>>> 	WARNING: The config value `version' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
>>> 	WARNING: The config value `release' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
>>>
>>> There is a third issue with the output of the make command:
>>> 	make: Entering directory '...'
>>> 	18.08
>>> 	make: Leaving directory '...'
>> I was curious `make showversion` because make command told me that `-r` is illegal even if giving options same as DPDK and no
>> warnings for compiling DPDK's documentation.
>>
>> By the way, do you use python3 for sphinx-build? I am using python2 and there are no warnings in the second issue while docs
>> compilation. If so, I should update to python3 to be the same environment as yours.
>
> I use python3 but the server dpdk.org uses python2.
I understood that it is not depend on the versions.

>>> Last but not the least, the doc will be generated only when you push an annotated tag:
>>> 	git tag -am spp-18.08 v18.08
>> I understand pushing tag is also incorrect. I simply added the tag and pushed.
>>     $ git tag v18.08
>>     $ git push origin v18.08
>
> This does not trigger compilation of the doc.
> You must use *annotated* tags.
OK. I should take care about it, and giving exact version number. Thanks!

@ 2018-12-17  7:33         ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-12-17  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 10/12/2018 17:52, Yasufumi Ogawa:

>> Thomas,
>>
>> Thank you so much for fixing my problems!
>>>
>>> First issue I see is the error number:
>>> in v18.08 it is defined as VERSION := 18.05.1
>>>
>>> Second issue:
>>> 	WARNING: The config value `version' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
>>> 	WARNING: The config value `release' has type `bytes', defaults to `str'.
>>>
>>> There is a third issue with the output of the make command:
>>> 	make: Entering directory '...'
>>> 	18.08
>>> 	make: Leaving directory '...'
>> I was curious `make showversion` because make command told me that `-r` is illegal even if giving options same as DPDK and no
>> warnings for compiling DPDK's documentation.
>>
>> By the way, do you use python3 for sphinx-build? I am using python2 and there are no warnings in the second issue while docs
>> compilation. If so, I should update to python3 to be the same environment as yours.
>
> I use python3 but the server dpdk.org uses python2.
>
>>> Last but not the least, the doc will be generated only when you push an annotated tag:
>>> 	git tag -am spp-18.08 v18.08
>> I understand pushing tag is also incorrect. I simply added the tag and pushed.
>>     $ git tag v18.08
>>     $ git push origin v18.08
>
> This does not trigger compilation of the doc.
> You must use *annotated* tags.
Hi Thomas,

I tried to add annotated tag for v18.08.1 and push to the repository after applied your patch. However, it does not seem to be
working. I confirmed the version number is defined in GNUmakefile as 'VERSION := 18.08.1', and added annotated tag. Here is a
result of 'git show' in which annotation is found. Could you give me advice?

$ git show v18.08.1
tag v18.08.1
Tagger: Yasufumi Ogawa <ogawa.yasufumi@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Date:   Fri Dec 14 03:50:38 2018 -0800

spp-18.08.1

commit 5e859023a12d66fe6cd47f45a0d7f909beb47245
Author: Yasufumi Ogawa <ogawa.yasufumi@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Date:   Thu Dec 13 22:28:47 2018 -0800

Yasufumi

@ 2018-12-17  9:42           ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-12-17  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

17/12/2018 08:33, Yasufumi Ogawa:
> >> I understand pushing tag is also incorrect. I simply added the tag and pushed.
> >>     $ git tag v18.08
> >>     $ git push origin v18.08
> >
> > This does not trigger compilation of the doc.
> > You must use *annotated* tags.
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I tried to add annotated tag for v18.08.1 and push to the repository after applied your patch. However, it does not seem to be
> working. I confirmed the version number is defined in GNUmakefile as 'VERSION := 18.08.1', and added annotated tag. Here is a
> result of 'git show' in which annotation is found. Could you give me advice?

It is a bug in the script stripping the minor version number.
I fixed it and ran the script again.

* Re: [dpdk-web] SPP documentation update on dpdk.org
@ 2018-12-17 10:03             ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-12-17 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, dpdk-web, dpdk-spp

>>> This does not trigger compilation of the doc.
>>> You must use *annotated* tags.
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I tried to add annotated tag for v18.08.1 and push to the repository after applied your patch. However, it does not seem to be
>> working. I confirmed the version number is defined in GNUmakefile as 'VERSION := 18.08.1', and added annotated tag. Here is a
>> result of 'git show' in which annotation is found. Could you give me advice?
>
> It is a bug in the script stripping the minor version number.
> I fixed it and ran the script again.
Thank you so much for fixing quickly!

Yasufumi