From: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
To: Jay Rolette <rolette@infiniteio.com>
Cc: DPDK <dev@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/3] Use common Linux tools to control DPDK	ports
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 10:08:07 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 05:48:51PM -0600, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Stephen Hemminger <
> stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:18:01 +0000
> > Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This work is to make DPDK ports more visible and to enable using common
> > > Linux tools to configure DPDK ports.
> > >
> > > Patch is based on KNI but contains only control functionality of it,
> > > also this patch does not include any Linux kernel network driver as
> > > part of it.
> >
> > I actually would like KNI to die and be replaced by something generic.
> > Right now with KNI it is driver and hardware specific. It is almost as if
> > there
> > are three drivers for ixgbe, the Linux driver, the DPDK driver, and the
> > KNI driver.
> >

> Any ideas about what that would look like? Having the ability to send
> traffic to/from DPDK-owned ports from control plane applications that live
> outside of (and are ignorant of) DPDK is a platform requirement for our
> product.
>
> I'm assuming that isn't uncommon, but that could just be the nature of the
> types of products I've built over the years.
>
> That said, I'd love there to be something that performs better and plays
> nicer with the system than KNI.

There is also another work going on for slow path communication, which converts
KNI's slow patch communication part to a PMD, to make it easier to use. An RFC
patch will be in mailing list next days.

Overall two responsibilities of KNI will be distributed into two different piece
of code with some enhancements.

If these new pieces get accepted by users and covers all KNI use cases, in long
run KNI can be depreciated...

Thanks,
ferruh