* OVS DPDK DSA Architecture/Design Discussion
@ 2022-03-15 10:27 Stokes, Ian
From: Stokes, Ian @ 2022-03-15 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Maximets, Maxime Coquelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com),
	Pai G, Sunil, Hu, Jiayu, ovs-dev, dev
  Cc: Kevin Traynor, Flavio Leitner, Mcnamara, John, Van Haaren, Harry,
	Ferriter, Cian, mcoqueli, fleitner

Hi All,

We'd like to put a public meeting in place for the stakeholders of DPDK and OVS to discuss the next steps and design of the DSA library along with its integration in OVS.

There are a few different time zones involved so trying to find a best fit.

Currently the suggestion is 2PM Tuesday the 15th.

https://meet.google.com/hme-pygf-bfb

The plan is for this to be a public meeting that can be shared with both DPDK and OVS communities but for the moment I've invited the direct stakeholders from both communities as a starting point as we'd like a time that suits these folks primarily, all are welcome to join the discussion.

Thanks
Ian

[-- Attachment #3: Type: text/calendar, Size: 3586 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:REQUEST
PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:GMT Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:+0000
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010101T010000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
ORGANIZER;CN="Stokes, Ian":MAILTO:ian.stokes@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Ilya Maxim
 ets:MAILTO:i.maximets@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Maxime Coq
 uelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com):MAILTO:maxime.coquelin@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Pai G, Sun
 il":MAILTO:sunil.pai.g@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Hu, Jiayu":
 MAILTO:jiayu.hu@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=ovs-dev@op
 envswitch.org:MAILTO:ovs-dev@openvswitch.org
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=dev@dpdk.o
 rg:MAILTO:dev@dpdk.org
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Kevin Tray
 nor:MAILTO:ktraynor@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Flavio Lei
 tner:MAILTO:fbl@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Mcnamara,
 John":MAILTO:john.mcnamara@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Van Haaren
 , Harry":MAILTO:harry.van.haaren@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN="Ferriter,
 Cian":MAILTO:cian.ferriter@intel.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=mcoqueli@r
 edhat.com:MAILTO:mcoqueli@redhat.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=OPT-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=fleitner@r
 edhat.com:MAILTO:fleitner@redhat.com
DESCRIPTION;LANGUAGE=en-US:Hi All\,\n\nWe’d like to put a public meeting
 in place for the stakeholders of DPDK and OVS to discuss the next steps an
 d design of the DSA library along with its integration in OVS.\n\nThere ar
 e a few different time zones involved so trying to find a best fit.\n\nCur
 rently the suggestion is 2PM Tuesday the 15th.\n\nhttps://meet.google.com/
 hme-pygf-bfb\n\nThe plan is for this to be a public meeting that can be sh
 ared with both DPDK and OVS communities but for the moment I’ve invited
 the direct stakeholders from both communities as a starting point as we’
 d like a time that suits these folks primarily\, all are welcome to join t
 he discussion.\n\nThanks\nIan\n\n\n
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E00800000000906D32F9D233D801000000000000000
 01000000095301FFB80D10A40B54524ACAF1B0BC7
SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-US:OVS DPDK DSA Architecture/Design Discussion
DTSTART;TZID=GMT Standard Time:20220315T140000
DTEND;TZID=GMT Standard Time:20220315T150000
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTAMP:20220315T102752Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
STATUS:CONFIRMED
SEQUENCE:1
LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en-US:TBD
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-APPT-SEQUENCE:1
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:78198758
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:TENTATIVE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INSTTYPE:0
X-MICROSOFT-DONOTFORWARDMEETING:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-DISALLOW-COUNTER:FALSE
BEGIN:VALARM
TRIGGER;RELATED=START:-PT15M
ACTION:DISPLAY
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

* Re: OVS DPDK DSA Architecture/Design Discussion
@ 2022-03-15 11:00 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2022-03-15 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stokes, Ian
  Cc: Ilya Maximets, Maxime Coquelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com),
	Pai G, Sunil, Hu, Jiayu, ovs-dev, dev, Kevin Traynor,
	Flavio Leitner, Mcnamara, John, Van Haaren, Harry, Ferriter,
	Cian, mcoqueli, fleitner

15/03/2022 11:27, Stokes, Ian:
> Hi All,
>
> We'd like to put a public meeting in place for the stakeholders
> of DPDK and OVS to discuss the next steps and design of
> the DSA library along with its integration in OVS.

There is no DSA library.
Do you mean the IOAT driver in DPDK for the DMA library?

If it is just for discussing the Intel driver, no way I attend.
And even if it is for discussing the DMA library integration,
I don't understand why the DPDK community is required.

If there is an issue with the library API, please tell it.
We need email discussions, not meeting request sent few hours in advance.
Ian, I know you are not a beginner in the community, what happens?

* RE: OVS DPDK DSA Architecture/Design Discussion
@ 2022-03-15 11:14   ` Stokes, Ian
From: Stokes, Ian @ 2022-03-15 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Ilya Maximets, Maxime Coquelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com),
	Pai G, Sunil, Hu, Jiayu, ovs-dev, dev, Kevin Traynor,
	Flavio Leitner, Mcnamara, John, Van Haaren, Harry, Ferriter,
	Cian, mcoqueli, fleitner

> 15/03/2022 11:27, Stokes, Ian:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We'd like to put a public meeting in place for the stakeholders
> > of DPDK and OVS to discuss the next steps and design of
> > the DSA library along with its integration in OVS.
>
> There is no DSA library.
> Do you mean the IOAT driver in DPDK for the DMA library?

Apologies Thomas,

DMA-Dev library is actually what's intended to be discussed to clarify. Will re-send the invite with the correct title.

Thanks
Ian

@ 2022-03-15 11:34     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2022-03-15 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stokes, Ian
  Cc: Ilya Maximets, Maxime Coquelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com),
	Pai G, Sunil, Hu, Jiayu, ovs-dev, dev, Kevin Traynor,
	Flavio Leitner, Mcnamara, John, Van Haaren, Harry, Ferriter,
	Cian, mcoqueli, fleitner

15/03/2022 12:14, Stokes, Ian:
> > 15/03/2022 11:27, Stokes, Ian:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > We'd like to put a public meeting in place for the stakeholders
> > > of DPDK and OVS to discuss the next steps and design of
> > > the DSA library along with its integration in OVS.
> >
> > There is no DSA library.
> > Do you mean the IOAT driver in DPDK for the DMA library?
>
> Apologies Thomas,
>
> DMA-Dev library is actually what's intended to be discussed to clarify.
> Will re-send the invite with the correct title.

If you want to have a good number of attendees,
you should postpone to a later date, so we can plan in advance.
You also need to describe the problem to discuss.
That's really better to start with emails, and to have a summary
after the meeting.

> > If it is just for discussing the Intel driver, no way I attend.
> > And even if it is for discussing the DMA library integration,
> > I don't understand why the DPDK community is required.
> >
> > If there is an issue with the library API, please tell it.
> > We need email discussions, not meeting request sent few hours in advance.
> > Ian, I know you are not a beginner in the community, what happens?

So if I understand well, there is no urgent problem to discuss?

* RE: OVS DPDK DSA Architecture/Design Discussion
@ 2022-03-15 13:20       ` Stokes, Ian
From: Stokes, Ian @ 2022-03-15 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Ilya Maximets, Maxime Coquelin (maxime.coquelin@redhat.com),
	Pai G, Sunil, Hu, Jiayu, ovs-dev, dev, Kevin Traynor,
	Flavio Leitner, Mcnamara, John, Van Haaren, Harry, Ferriter,
	Cian, mcoqueli, fleitner

> 15/03/2022 12:14, Stokes, Ian:
> > > 15/03/2022 11:27, Stokes, Ian:

> > > There is no DSA library.
> > > Do you mean the IOAT driver in DPDK for the DMA library?
> >
> > Apologies Thomas,
> >
> > DMA-Dev library is actually what's intended to be discussed to clarify.
> > Will re-send the invite with the correct title.
>
> If you want to have a good number of attendees,
> you should postpone to a later date, so we can plan in advance.
> You also need to describe the problem to discuss.
> That's really better to start with emails, and to have a summary
> after the meeting.

Agreed, we have a few people who can't make it today so will push to the same time next week. I'll also update the summary of what's to be discussed. So it's clearer.

> > > If it is just for discussing the Intel driver, no way I attend.
> > > And even if it is for discussing the DMA library integration,
> > > I don't understand why the DPDK community is required.
> > >
> > > If there is an issue with the library API, please tell it.
> > > We need email discussions, not meeting request sent few hours in advance.
> > > Ian, I know you are not a beginner in the community, what happens?
>
> So if I understand well, there is no urgent problem to discuss?

No Immediate issues, but from what I understand a number of designs have been prototyped so their results and next steps should be discussed for an agreed approach from both communities to allow future use and integration.

Thanks
Ian