* [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-03-31 18:18 Butler, Siobhan A
From: Butler, Siobhan A @ 2015-03-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

As a community we have virtually come together from all over the globe, developing now our third successful open source DPDK version with DPDK r2.0 about to release.
It is astounding to comprehend the commitment and enthusiasm you have all shared to bring DPDK to this point.
With growing the community of developers in mind, and strengthening the networks and virtual collaborations that have come about,
I propose that we hold the first dev@DPDK Developer Hackathon this year.

Many people will be travelling to Dublin, Ireland for LinuxCon and CloudOpen October (5th-7th).
I propose that we hold a hands on 2 day hackathon Thursday October 8th and Friday October 9th to coincide with this offering, in Dublin.
>From a community perspective is a great opportunity to bring together the people that make DPDK happen - the developers.
>From a developer perspective it is a great opportunity to be part of the first gathering, meet some new people, learn something new
and have a lot of fun on the way.

At this point the agenda is open - so if you see merit in this proposal please share your interest here so that we can gauge attendance
and gather ideas of what people would like the format to be.

Thanks,
Siobhan
<siobhan.a.butler@intel.com>

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-05-19 12:59 ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2015-05-19 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Butler, Siobhan A, dev

There wasn't any public response to this but we did discuss it with several people separately who all thought it was a good idea. Therefore, we've decided to go ahead with it. Siobhan is working on the plan now and should be in a position to make a formal announcement in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I wanted to let people know that this is going ahead so that you can:
a) Save the date. October 8th/9th, immediately after the European LinuxCon, in Dublin Ireland.
b) Think about topics that you'd like to see covered. We'll solicit for inputs when the formal announcement is made, but it's good for people to begin thinking about this now.

We'd like this to be quite an interactive event with a lot of discussion rather than just presentations. We plan to have many of our key DPDK developers there, so it will be a great opportunity to network, discuss the technical challenges that you're facing and help to build a stronger DPDK community.

Tim

@ 2015-05-19 13:36   ` Thomas F Herbert
From: Thomas F Herbert @ 2015-05-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, Butler, Siobhan A, dev

On 5/19/15 8:59 AM, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> There wasn't any public response to this but we did discuss it with several people separately who all thought it was a good idea. Therefore, we've decided to go ahead with it. Siobhan is working on the plan now and should be in a position to make a formal announcement in a few weeks.
>
> In the meantime, I wanted to let people know that this is going ahead so that you can:
> a) Save the date. October 8th/9th, immediately after the European LinuxCon, in Dublin Ireland.
> b) Think about topics that you'd like to see covered. We'll solicit for inputs when the formal announcement is made, but it's good for people to begin thinking about this now.

Tim, I for one think it is a good idea. +1 from me.

--
Thomas F Herbert
Principal Software Engineer

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-05-19 13:43     ` Rao, Ravi
From: Rao, Ravi @ 2015-05-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas F Herbert, O'Driscoll, Tim, Butler, Siobhan A, dev

Hi All,
   Effort and emphasis has to be made to integrate DPDK into openstack components like neutron and nova so that this becomes part of std openstack release.
Currently some work was done and published as a patch to devstack's Juno but there are no clear path to incorporate these patches to the mainline. I think this would be a very good topic to cover.
Regards,
Ravi

--

@ 2015-05-19 14:09       ` Thomas F Herbert
From: Thomas F Herbert @ 2015-05-19 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Ravi, O'Driscoll, Tim, Butler, Siobhan A, dev

On 5/19/15 9:43 AM, Rao, Ravi wrote:
> Hi All,
>     Effort and emphasis has to be made to integrate DPDK into openstack components like neutron and nova so that this becomes part of std openstack release.
> Currently some work was done and published as a patch to devstack's Juno but there are no clear path to incorporate these patches to the mainline. I think this would be a very good topic to cover.
Yes

Also related to this, I would hope to participate in any discussion
about OVS acceration and vhost/guest access acceleration.

--

@ 2015-05-19 14:18         ` Butler, Siobhan A
From: Butler, Siobhan A @ 2015-05-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas F Herbert, Rao, Ravi, O'Driscoll, Tim, dev

Thanks Thomas, Ravi - listing both your suggestions.
Siobhan

@ 2015-05-19 14:20   ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2015-05-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 19/05/2015 05:59, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> a) Save the date. October 8th/9th, immediately after the European LinuxCon, in Dublin Ireland.
> b) Think about topics that you'd like to see covered. We'll solicit for inputs when the formal announcement is made, but it's good for people to begin thinking about this now.

Good idea, thanks for the reminders.

Some topics on top of my head:
   - community updates & workflow
   - status of PMDs: where are we comming from and where does it go
       -> should it converge with OS' drivers?
   - status of bifurcated drivers & security issues raised on netdev,
any alternative?
   - status of testing:
       -> dts
       -> smoking tests

Best regards,
   Vincent

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-05-19 14:22           ` Vincent JARDIN
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2015-05-19 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

On 19/05/2015 07:18, Butler, Siobhan A wrote:
>> Also related to this, I would hope to participate in any discussion about OVS
>> >acceration and vhost/guest access acceleration.

We need to have this track with both:
   - Qemu/kvm/libvirt session during the LinuxCon,
   - virtio session during the LinuxConf

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-05-19 14:23     ` Butler, Siobhan A
From: Butler, Siobhan A @ 2015-05-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN, dev

Super thank you

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dev@DPDK Hackathon Proposal
@ 2015-05-19 14:46           ` Thomas F Herbert
From: Thomas F Herbert @ 2015-05-19 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Butler, Siobhan A, Rao, Ravi, O'Driscoll, Tim, dev

On 5/19/15 10:18 AM, Butler, Siobhan A wrote:

> [...]
Siobhan and Ravi and Tim,
More specifically and listed as a Heirarchy of related topics:
DPDK for Cloud and Hypervisor acceleration
     OpenStack and NFV
         Neutron, OVN
     Open vSwitch data path
         DPDK in Hypervisor/Host Data Path
         DPDK acceleration of host-guest and guest-guest
             Vhost User
             Vhost-cuse, kni, other guest connection paradigms.

--

@ 2015-05-19 16:08       ` Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw
From: Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw @ 2015-05-19 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Ravi, Thomas F Herbert, O'Driscoll, Tim, Butler, Siobhan A, dev

Hi Ravi,

 Kilo release of Openstack  allows to use ovs-dpdk with vhostuser.
Nova includes vhost-user vif driver, and for neutron we have a mechanism driver and agent in stackforge project :
https://github.com/stackforge/networking-ovs-dpdk

The neutron part is hosted on stackforge because of vendor decomposition  going on in neutron.
The contains a devstack plugin and instructions on how to setup the node.

Regards
Przemek

@ 2015-05-19 17:06         ` Rao, Ravi
From: Rao, Ravi @ 2015-05-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw, Thomas F Herbert, O'Driscoll, Tim,
	Butler, Siobhan A, dev

Hi Przemek/Thomas,
   Thanks for the info. But when I am using the latest ovs and the DPDK2.0 the performance I am getting through the ovs switch is far less than non dpdk.
I can send more info if you need.
I am using dpdkvhost0 and dpdkvhos1 interfaces that are based on vhost_cuse to interact with VM. Is there any post that I can refer to see what I may be missing ?
Currently these are my tasks
1. Measure throughput with Just OVS on Host only == completed (600,000 pps) *No Flow control
2. Measure throughput with OVS+DPDK on Host only == completed (6.4 Mpps)
3. Measure throughput on Guest spunup using QEMU with OVS bridge on Host == completed (240,000 pps)
4. Measure throughput on Guest spunup using QEMU with OVS DPDK on Host == Having issues with perf just getting 60,000 pps
5. Measure throughput on Guest spunup using Openstack with just OVS on Compute node == completed (60,000 pps)
6. Measure throughput on Guest spunup using Openstack with OVS DPDK on Compute node. I can use the info provided by you and see if I can get this running ??

@ 2015-05-19 18:18         ` Rao, Ravi
From: Rao, Ravi @ 2015-05-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw, Thomas F Herbert, O'Driscoll, Tim,
	Butler, Siobhan A, dev

Hi,
  I am currently interested to tryout on the compute nodes for measuring the performance on the data traffic. Can you please point to me any notes that I can refer to get the ovs-dpdk on the nova in kilo..
Thanks & regards,

@ 2015-05-19 21:22           ` Traynor, Kevin
From: Traynor, Kevin @ 2015-05-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rao, Ravi, Czesnowicz, Przemyslaw, Thomas F Herbert,
	O'Driscoll, Tim, Butler, Siobhan A, dev

Hi - I think this is going off topic for this thread, I suggest switching back to
other thread where I had made some suggestions. This may be better on ovs-discuss
also.