* [dpdk-dev] time for compiling test_ring.c
@ 2020-04-22  0:00 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honnappa Nagarahalli, Konstantin Ananyev
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev

Hi,

I don't want know why and when, but it seems the file test_ring.c
became very long to compile, especially with clang.

I have no solution to shorten the compilation time,
so I propose to rename test_ring.c to test_patien.ce.
Disclosure: I am failing this test :-(

* Re: [dpdk-dev] time for compiling test_ring.c
@ 2020-04-22  0:05 ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2020-04-22  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, Konstantin Ananyev
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev, nd,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd

<snip>

> Hi,
>
> I don't want know why and when, but it seems the file test_ring.c became
> very long to compile, especially with clang.
What is the compiler version? Is this on master?
Any info on test_ring_perf.c?

@ 2020-04-22  0:25   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-04-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ananyev, Honnappa Nagarahalli
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev, nd

22/04/2020 02:05, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> 22/04/2020 02:00, Thomas Monjalon:
> > I don't want know why and when, but it seems the file test_ring.c became
> > very long to compile, especially with clang.
>
> What is the compiler version? Is this on master?

clang 9.0.1 compiling DPDK master.

> Any info on test_ring_perf.c?

This one looks slow to compile as well.

> > I have no solution to shorten the compilation time, so I propose to rename
> > test_ring.c to test_patien.ce.
> > Disclosure: I am failing this test :-(

The object file takes 5 to 11MB.
I don't know how much this test is magic, but I hope it does a lot more
than this 256B program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imquk_3oFf4

* Re: [dpdk-dev] time for compiling test_ring.c
@ 2020-04-22  0:32     ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2020-04-22  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, Konstantin Ananyev
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev, nd,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd

<snip>

> 22/04/2020 02:05, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> > 22/04/2020 02:00, Thomas Monjalon:
> > > I don't want know why and when, but it seems the file test_ring.c
> > > became very long to compile, especially with clang.
> >
> > What is the compiler version? Is this on master?
>
> clang 9.0.1 compiling DPDK master.
I think, it is the compiler. The issues were observed with clang-7 during the last release. Clang-8 worked fine. Still, test_ring.c was re-worked to compile in shorter time. Looks like things are back to broken in 9.0.1.

@ 2020-04-22  5:11       ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2020-04-22  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas, Konstantin Ananyev
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev, nd, nd,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd

<snip>

> > 22/04/2020 02:05, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> > > 22/04/2020 02:00, Thomas Monjalon:
> > >
> > > What is the compiler version? Is this on master?
> >
> > clang 9.0.1 compiling DPDK master.
> I think, it is the compiler. The issues were observed with clang-7 during the last
> release. Clang-8 worked fine. Still, test_ring.c was re-worked to compile in
> shorter time. Looks like things are back to broken in 9.0.1.
I am able to reproduce, need sometime to come up with a fix.

@ 2020-04-22  8:12         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-04-22  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ananyev, Honnappa Nagarahalli
  Cc: olivier.matz, david.marchand, bruce.richardson, dev, nd

22/04/2020 07:11, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> > > 22/04/2020 02:05, Honnappa Nagarahalli:

> > > clang 9.0.1 compiling DPDK master.
> > I think, it is the compiler. The issues were observed with clang-7 during the last
> > release. Clang-8 worked fine. Still, test_ring.c was re-worked to compile in
> > shorter time. Looks like things are back to broken in 9.0.1.
> I am able to reproduce, need sometime to come up with a fix.

OK thank you.
Note that I was not asking for a fix ;-)

@ 2020-04-22 14:23           ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2020-04-22 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Ananyev, Konstantin, Honnappa Nagarahalli, olivier.matz,
	david.marchand, Richardson, Bruce, dev, nd

> On Apr 22, 2020, at 3:12 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
>
> 22/04/2020 07:11, Honnappa Nagarahalli:

>>> I think, it is the compiler. The issues were observed with clang-7 during the last
>>> release. Clang-8 worked fine. Still, test_ring.c was re-worked to compile in
>>> shorter time. Looks like things are back to broken in 9.0.1.
>> I am able to reproduce, need sometime to come up with a fix.
>
> OK thank you.
> Note that I was not asking for a fix ;-)

Is it possible to break the file into smaller parts, then you can use multiple threads to build all of the parts. I noticed in some of the other files with large tables or macros it was easier to split the file up and have ninja use multiple threads to build it. $0.02