* [dpdk-dev] DPDK on Xen maintenance
@ 2016-07-12  9:34 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-07-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: huawei.xie, Jan Blunck, huilongx.xu, Thiago Martins

Hi all,

We are facing some issues with Xen dom0.
Some were fixed in RC2:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/043760.html
and there still have some other issues.

It seems Xen is becoming less attractive:
	- we do not have a lot of test reports or feedbacks
	- there is no maintainer for DPDK on Xen
	- we are still waiting for the Xen netfront PMD

I wonder wether it still makes sense to maintain this code or not?
In case of positive reply, it would be nice to have the name of
someone responsible for this code, i.e. a maintainer.

Thanks

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK on Xen maintenance
@ 2016-07-13 10:30 ` Jan Blunck
From: Jan Blunck @ 2016-07-13 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.monjalon, dev; +Cc: huawei.xie, huilongx.xu, thiagocmartinsc

On Di, 2016-07-12 at 11:34 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are facing some issues with Xen dom0.
> Some were fixed in RC2:
> 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpdk.org_ml
> _archives_dev_2016-
> 2DJuly_043760.html&d=CwICAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=eGq7Pg5OSP440n
> QUcjb02I48YXd7Ce6OiSj9BMaGZiE&m=98n7rM-Tjze4nm2MUpU8Etvo5lAB-
> oe0KXsst27ujkw&s=AHzBPDmKhqbsIc8pb2x_s7ShJvDhf93AsXRAm43EXlM&e=
> and there still have some other issues.
>
> It seems Xen is becoming less attractive:
> 	- we do not have a lot of test reports or feedbacks
> 	- there is no maintainer for DPDK on Xen
> 	- we are still waiting for the Xen netfront PMD

Although progress is slow I'm still working on upstreaming the Xen
netfront PMD. I will continue to maintain it afterwards of course.

@ 2016-07-20 16:51   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-07-20 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Blunck, sergio.gonzalez.monroy
  Cc: dev, huawei.xie, huilongx.xu, thiagocmartinsc

2016-07-13 10:30, Jan Blunck:
> On Di, 2016-07-12 at 11:34 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are facing some issues with Xen dom0.
> > Some were fixed in RC2:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/043760.html
> > and there still have some other issues.
> >
> > It seems Xen is becoming less attractive:
> > 	- we do not have a lot of test reports or feedbacks
> > 	- there is no maintainer for DPDK on Xen
> > 	- we are still waiting for the Xen netfront PMD
>
> Although progress is slow I'm still working on upstreaming the Xen
> netfront PMD. I will continue to maintain it afterwards of course.

OK thanks for the update.
So you are working on using DPDK in Domu.

It seems that nobody is interested in using DPDK in Dom0.
There is still a bug in 16.07:
	http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/044207.html

> > I wonder wether it still makes sense to maintain this code or not?
> > In case of positive reply, it would be nice to have the name of
> > someone responsible for this code, i.e. a maintainer.

Given that we have no feedback on Xen Dom0, no maintainer, some bugs,
and it makes memory allocation improvements harder,
it sounds reasonnable to drop this code.