* [dpdk-dev] fast red autotest
@ 2016-05-11  7:45 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-05-11  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristian Dumitrescu; +Cc: dev

The autotest for librte_sched red takes more than a minute.
Would it be possible to reduce it to a second please?
If it is really impossible, it must be removed from fast_test.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] fast red autotest
@ 2016-05-11 10:15 ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-05-11 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev, Kantecki, Tomasz

CC-ing Tomasz, who is the original author of RED implementation and its autotest. Tomasz, what do you think?

@ 2016-05-24 15:23   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-05-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, Kantecki, Tomasz; +Cc: dev

Any news Tomasz, Cristian?

@ 2016-05-24 17:08     ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-05-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Kantecki, Tomasz; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas,

>From my side, I am OK to remove RED from the fast autotest, as long as it is kept available as part of the normal/full autotest of DPDK.

Some of the RED autotests need a long time to run in order to train the history for the average queue size stochastic variable, therefore it is difficult to shorten them. However, some tests are quick to execute, so those tests can still be included into the fast autotest. Tomazs, any comments/proposal?

Regards,
Cristian

@ 2016-05-25 11:06       ` Kantecki, Tomasz
From: Kantecki, Tomasz @ 2016-05-25 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

Hi Thomas,

I had a quick look through these tests and it will need some effort to rework them to run in shorter time.
I agree to remove this suite from the fast_test as long as it gets exercised in other test paths.

Regards,
Tomasz

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
sender and delete all copies.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] fast red autotest
@ 2016-05-25 11:41         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-05-25 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kantecki, Tomasz; +Cc: Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

2016-05-25 11:06, Kantecki, Tomasz:
> I had a quick look through these tests and it will need some effort to rework them to run in shorter time.
> I agree to remove this suite from the fast_test as long as it gets exercised in other test paths.

Is it possible to split them in
	- short functional tests
	- long run / perf tests
?
So we could keep some basic tests in fast_test.
I expect that tests which are not part of fast_test won't be run often
or in enough various environments.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] fast red autotest
@ 2016-05-27 14:04           ` Kantecki, Tomasz
From: Kantecki, Tomasz @ 2016-05-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

> From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas.monjalon@6wind.com]
> Is it possible to split them in
> 	- short functional tests
> 	- long run / perf tests
> ?
> So we could keep some basic tests in fast_test.
> I expect that tests which are not part of fast_test won't be run often or in
> enough various environments.

It sounds like a good idea Thomas.  I ran the test couple of times and it seems that functional test #4 takes most of the time and could be removed to long run scenario. Other functional tests run rather promptly.
Next week, I can prepare patch to implement long and short run commands for this test suite. Would it be OK?
Tomasz

@ 2016-05-27 14:42             ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-05-27 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kantecki, Tomasz; +Cc: Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

2016-05-27 14:04, Kantecki, Tomasz:
> > From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas.monjalon@6wind.com]
> > Is it possible to split them in
> > 	- short functional tests
> > 	- long run / perf tests
> > ?
> > So we could keep some basic tests in fast_test.
> > I expect that tests which are not part of fast_test won't be run often or in
> > enough various environments.
>
> It sounds like a good idea Thomas.  I ran the test couple of times and it seems that functional test #4 takes most of the time and could be removed to long run scenario. Other functional tests run rather promptly.
> Next week, I can prepare patch to implement long and short run commands for this test suite. Would it be OK?

Yes. The goal is to have "make fast_test" really fast.
Thanks