* Including contigmem in core dumps
@ 2024-05-28  0:34 Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2024-05-28  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I've been wondering why we exclude memory allocated by eal_get_virtual_area() from core dumps? (More specifically, it calls eal_mem_set_dump() to call madvise() to disable core dumps from the allocated region.)

On many occasions, when debugging after a crash, it would have been very convenient to be able to see the contents of an mbuf or other object allocated in contigmem space. And we often avoid using the rte memory allocator just because of this.

Is there any reason for this, or could it perhaps be a compile-time configuration option not to call madvise()?