From: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
To: oulijun <oulijun@huawei.com>, dev <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: linuxarm@openeuler.org, "lihuisong (C)" <lihuisong@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [RFC] some questions for speed_capa usage
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:23:52 +0000

On 1/18/2021 10:27 AM, oulijun wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The 'speed_capa' will be reported in rte_eth_dev_info_get API. How should users
> use the field?
>
> 1) The driver reports only the capabilities supported by the NIC, and users only
> obtain the capabilities.
> Maybe, there is a case that a rate bit in 'speed_capa' is not supported by the
> current transmission medium,
> such as, copper cable optical modules and optical interface modules.
>
> 2) The field is used only to inform users of the speed_capa supported by the
> current transmission medium.
> And users set the fixed speed or auto-negotiation by using 'link_speeds'
> according to the field.
>
> According to the existing implementations of all drivers, it seems that both of
> the above behaviors exist.
>
> How should we report and use it?

Hi Lijun,

When the driver reports the capabilities supported by the NIC, we tend to mark
this feature as partially supported.

The expectation is the driver report the capability for the current
configuration, the PHY/FW/transmission medium, whatever it is.

Driver should return the current supported values so that application can select
one, as you said.

Regards,
ferruh